Apple Carrot Muffins
These apple carrot muffins are easy to make, moist, fluffy, and healthy!
Apple carrot muffins, also known as sunshine muffins or superhero muffins, are the perfect family-friendly muffin recipe, as they are loved by adults and kids alike. Made with rolled oats, crunchy apple and sweet carrots, this apple carrot muffin recipe is packed full of fruits and vegetables, perfect for a healthy high-fibre breakfast or snack.
Apple Carrot Muffin Recipe
Part of the reason I wanted to share this recipe is that it’s made with pantry and kitchen staples. I don’t know about you, but we always have apples and carrots in the fridge and we seem to go through them by the bucket load. I always seem to be adding apple to my morning oatmeal, carrots seem to fit into almost every dinner I cook, and they are both at the top of my snacking list. So, I decided to mix things up and do a little baking with fall flavours, hence this apple carrot muffin recipe!
For this particular recipe, I opted to add rolled oats for some extra fibre, although the apples and carrots add plenty on their own, and sweeten the muffins naturally with maple syrup. However, if you don’t have rolled oats on hand you can swap them for an extra 1/2 cup of flour and swap for the maple syrup for brown sugar if needed.
Carrot and Apple Muffins
In my opinion, these apple carrot muffins are a great recipe for some easy Sunday baking, as they store well in the pantry, fridge or freezer so you’ll have healthy adult and kid-friendly snacks ready to go whenever you need them.
More Healthy Muffin Recipes:
Made with rolled oats and maple syrup, these healthy apple carrot muffins are moist, fluffy and absolutely delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated apple (about 1 large apple)
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup raisins* (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line muffin tin with baking cups or lightly grease with butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients: flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and stir until well incorporated.
- In a separate large bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients; grated apple, grated carrots, maple syrup, melted butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk well until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps. (Optional: Once the batter is mixed, add the raisins and fold in gently.)
- Divide the batter evenly across the muffins cups.
- Transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow to cool slightly, then transfer the muffins to a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature.
- The muffins can be served immediately, stored at room temperature for 5 days, in the fridge for up to 7 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
*For extra tender and sweet raisins, soak them in hot water for 5-10 minutes before adding them to the batter. However, be sure to strain them well and remove any excess water before adding them.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 198 calories
- Sugar: 10 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 27 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
Keywords: easy, healthy