Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Made with whole wheat flour and fresh apple, these healthy apple cinnamon muffins are a simple breakfast or snack the whole family will love!
When it comes to healthy baking, things can get confusing quickly; What’s the best flour to use? What’s the best sweetener to use? Should I even use sugar at all?! Although you can certainly make things complicated if you want to, in my opinion, simpler is better. Whether it’s muffins or cookies, there is a time and a place for baked goods in a healthy diet and, when you make them from scratch, you can easily avoid a lot of the unnecessary additives, preservatives, refined oils, sugars and calories in pre-made or processed versions. Fortunately, it’s not as complicated as you may think, and these apple cinnamon muffins are an example of exactly that.
Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins
I kept the ingredients in these apple cinnamon muffins pretty traditional and used whole wheat flour as a base and brown sugar to sweeten. Not only does whole wheat flour provide some extra fibre to the muffins, but by using several fresh apples in the recipe I was able to keep the added sugar to a minimum. These muffins make a great kid-friendly snack or a grab-and-go breakfast and store well in the freezer so you can double the batch and you’ll have healthy apple cinnamon muffins for weeks to come.
More Healthy Muffin Recipes:
- Blueberry, Oatmeal & Maple Muffins
- Raspberry Yogurt Muffins
- Carrot Pecan Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
These healthy apple cinnamon muffins are made with whole wheat flour and fresh apple and make a tasty snack or breakfast for adults and kids alike!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice (optional)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups apple, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a muffin tin lightly with oil.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, all spice, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and stir until well incorporated.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients; apple, milk, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk well until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Divide the batter evenly across the muffins cups.
- Transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow to cool slightly, then transfer the muffins to a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature.
- The muffins can be served immediately, stored at room temperature for 3 days, in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 17 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 33 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
Keywords: healthy, easy, how to make, moist, low fat