Made with whole wheat flour and fresh apple, these apple cinnamon muffins are a simple breakfast or snack the whole family will love. These muffins are healthy, high in fiber, and super tasty!
Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins
When it comes to healthy baking, things can get confusing quickly; What’s the best flour to use? What’s the best sweetener to use? Should I even use sugar at all?! Although you can certainly make things complicated if you want to, in my opinion, simpler is better. Whether it’s muffins or cookies, there is a time and a place for baked goods in a healthy diet and, when you make them from scratch, you can easily avoid a lot of the unnecessary additives, preservatives, refined oils, sugars and calories in pre-made or processed versions. Fortunately, it’s not as complicated as you may think, and these apple cinnamon muffins are an example of exactly that.
I kept the ingredients in these apple cinnamon muffins pretty traditional and used whole wheat flour as a base and brown sugar to sweeten them. Not only does whole wheat flour provide some extra fiber to the muffins, but by using several fresh apples in the recipe I was able to keep the added sugar to a minimum. These muffins make a great kid-friendly snack or a grab-and-go breakfast and store well in the freezer so you can double the batch and you’ll have healthy apple cinnamon muffins for weeks to come.
More Healthy Muffin Recipes:
- Blueberry, Oatmeal & Maple Muffins
- Raspberry Yogurt Muffins
- Carrot Pecan Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
These healthy apple cinnamon muffins are made with whole wheat flour and fresh apple and make a tasty snack or breakfast for adults and kids alike!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups apple, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a muffin tin lightly with oil.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, all spice, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and stir until well incorporated.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients; apple, milk, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk well until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Divide the batter evenly across the muffins cups.
- Transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow to cool slightly, then transfer the muffins to a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature.
- The muffins can be served immediately, stored at room temperature for 3 days, in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 17 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 33 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
Keywords: healthy, easy, how to make, moist, low fat
Leave a Review