Arugula, Watermelon & Feta Salad
If you thought watermelon was only for sweet dishes and desserts, think again! Not only does it pair incredibly well with savoury foods, but it’s an incredibly hydrating fruit that is packed full of water, making it a refreshing addition to this arugula, watermelon, and feta salad, and perfect for a hot summer day.
I think watermelon is a lot like corn in the sense that it is truly best eaten as is; directly off the rind or the cob. There is nothing quite as refreshing (and messy) as biting into a big slice of watermelon on a hot summer’s day, and although I truly think that is the best way to eat it, there is something fun about getting creative in the kitchen with seasonal vegetables. So, once I used corn to create my Mexican street corn salad, I figured there must be a fun way to use watermelon too.
Since watermelon is only really around during the summer months, this salad is best made for a backyard BBQ or party. It can be made ahead of time, just be sure not to dress the salad until the moment you are about to eat as the arugula will wilt quickly. Arugula is a really peppery leafy green so I love using it in a salad with lighter and sweeter flavors. I think the combination of spiciness, sweetness, and saltiness in this salad makes for a really delicious bite.
This arugula, watermelon and feta salad is quick and easy to toss together and a great side dish for anything on the grill.
- 6 cups arugula, well packed
- 2 cups watermelon, diced into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Assemble the salad; in a large bowl combine arugula, watermelon, feta, and mint.
- In a small bowl or jar prepare the dressing. Combine all ingredients and whisk together until well combined.
- When you are ready to serve, drizzle salad with dressing and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (as needed) and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 205 calories
- Sugar: 6 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Carbohydrates: 8 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 4 grams
Keywords: feta, mint, arugula, best, easy