Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Made with ground chicken, these healthy Asian chicken lettuce are quick and easy to make and full of flavour!
Asian chicken lettuce wraps are a popular restaurant choice, and although I’ve ordered them many-a-times myself, it’s so easy to make a healthier version at home. Although restaurant versions might seem like an ideal option, they can actually still be a little troublesome. How? The sauce, it always comes down to the sauce. Whether it’s the restaurant’s sauce or the sauce found in the grocery store, those little guys are too often loaded with sodium and a ton of added sugar. Despite the fact it might seem virtually impossible to re-create those taste bud exploding sauces at home, I assure it is quite simple. In fact, it isn’t that hard at all.
When done well, lettuce wraps are a great choice because they are loaded with protein, fresh veggies and a ton of flavour. I think they make a great appetiser for a party or main dish for a family dinner. Not only are they tasty, but ready in 30 minutes or less they making them the perfect weeknight meal.
When it comes to meat, you can honestly use any type you like. I opted for ground chicken because it’s what I had on hand, but ground beef or chicken strips would work just as well. But no matter what you use, ensure that you are using the best quality meat that you can get your hands on; local free-range or grass-fed are always the best options. A great Ontario resource and a personal favourite of mine is truLOCAL, they source all of their meats locally and they are delivered right to your door for no added fee.
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
This Asian chicken lettuce wrap recipe calls for ground chicken, however, you could easily use sliced chicken or any other ground meat you like.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2″ fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoons crushed chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 head iceberg or boston lettuce
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1/4 red cabbage, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Handful coriander
- Fresh lime, quartered
- In a bowl, stir together tamari, honey, sesame oil and lime juice. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil on a medium heat and add the garlic, ginger, and green onion. Cook gently, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken to the pan and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the marinade mixture to the pan and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes until well combined. (I like to let my chicken go an extra couple of minutes because I like it a little crispy in the pan, but the texture is up to you.)
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and set aside to serve.
- To serve, spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture into a large lettuce leaf and serve with the toppings of your choice. (I like to keep my vegetable toppings raw for extra crunch and texture, but certainly gently stir-fry them and add them cooked if you prefer.)
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 326 calories
- Sugar: 13 grams
- Fat: 16 grams
- Carbohydrates: 29 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Protein: 25 grams
Keywords: ground chicken, healthy, easy