Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs
Ready in 30 minutes, these coconut curry chicken meatballs are a perfect weeknight meal!
Curry is one of my favourite go-to dishes for quick and easy meals because it’s so easy to create a ton of flavour with very little effort. In fact, I always have at least one type of curry paste in the fridge; just combine it with a bit of coconut milk, add some veggies, meat or seafood and dinner is done! This coconut curry chicken meatballs recipe is just another fabulous (and delicious) way to whip up a healthy weekday meal in a pinch.
Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Broth
Although you may not think of chicken meatballs when you think of curry, trust me, they work perfectly well. Compared to fattier cuts of meat, like beef or pork, ground chicken can result in rather dry and flavourless meatballs, however, adding a bit of flavour to the chicken itself and cooking the meatballs in a rich sauce helps to ensure that you get moist and tender chicken with every bite.
For a Thai-inspired sauce, there are plenty of ingredients to choose from. Some of the more common curry ingredients include coconut milk, ginger, garlic, onion, kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass, cumin and coriander. However, for a quick and easy version, you can buy red, yellow or green curry pastes in most major grocery stores and, if you are feeling up to it, you can also make your own authentic Thai curry paste from scratch.
Thai Chicken Meatballs with Rice
Although I made this Thai chicken meatballs recipe with red curry paste, you could certainly use yellow or green curry paste if you prefer. Not to mention, you could also easily swap the ground chicken for ground turkey, ground beef, ground pork or any combination you enjoy. Regardless of which route you choose, with moist and tender meatballs smothered a rich and savoury coconut sauce, these Thai chicken meatballs are sure to be a hit with the whole family.
More Thai Curry Recipes:
Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs
Simmered in a rich and velvety coconut curry sauce, these Thai chicken meatballs are a heart-warming and healthy recipe that you can whip up in 30 minutes or less.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or olive oil
- 2–3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 can (14 oz) lite coconut milk
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1-inch ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- Black pepper
To Serve (optional):
- Jasmine rice, cooked
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add ground chicken, garlic, one green onion, and season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix the ingredients into the ground chicken until well combined.
- Coat your hands with a small drizzle of oil (this will help to stop the meat from sticking), scoop 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture into your hands, roll into a ball and place on a large baking sheet. Continue until all of the ground chicken is gone, the mixture should make 16 meatballs.
- Once complete, transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the curry.
- In a large pan or skillet, on medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of oil. Once warm, add remaining green onion, bell peppers and ginger root and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until bell peppers are tender.
- Add curry paste, stir to combine with vegetable mixture and allow to heat about 1 minute until fragrant. (I added 3 tablespoons because I like it on the spicier side.) Add coconut milk and fish sauce (optional), stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking, transfer the meatballs to the coconut curry sauce and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- To serve, fill bowls with cooked rice, top with coconut curry meatballs, fresh cilantro and a wedge of lime.
- These coconut curry chicken meatballs can also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- Calories: 321 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 22 grams
- Carbohydrates: 9 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 21 grams
Keywords: ground chicken, baked, healthy