This chicken cauliflower fried rice is a lighter take on classic fried rice and a great way to add more veggies to your diet in a fun and flavourful way.
I never used to buy cauliflower before I discovered cauliflower rice. It was just one of those bland and boring vegetables that I never really knew what to do with besides adding cheese sauce to it. When I first heard the term cauliflower rice I was completely perplexed and had no idea what the person was talking about. I immediately thought of it as a food trend that wouldn’t last until I tried it myself for the first time. If I am being honest, the first time I made cauliflower rice it made one heck of a mess in my kitchen, but the more I made it, the better I go and the less of a mess it actually made. There are a number of different ways to make cauliflower rice, but I think the easiest is in a food processor; it’s quick to prepare and easy to clean up, and it stores really well in the fridge or freezer for later use as well.
This chicken cauliflower fried rice is a really basic recipe with simple ingredients most people will already have in their kitchen, making it a convenient weeknight meal. I made this recipe with skinless and boneless chicken thighs because I love the flavor but you could certainly use chicken breasts if that’s all you have.
Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice
This chicken cauliflower fried rice recipe calls for chicken thighs because I think they provide better flavour, but chicken breasts would work just as well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 1 head cauliflower
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1” ginger root, grated
- 3 spring onions, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 eggs, whisked
- To Serve: spring onions, sesame seeds, hot sauce
- Cut cauliflower into chunks and add to a food processor to make cauliflower rice.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add coconut oil and add diced chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add whisked eggs and scramble gently. You want to leave them a little soft and runny as they will be heated again later. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add spring onions and carrots and sautee for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add ginger and garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower rice to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes for help soften the cauliflower. Add chicken and peas to the pan, and stir through to combine.
- As the cauliflower mixture cooked, combine soy sauce and sesame oil in a small dish and whisk together. Pour into the pan and stir to ensure it is well incorporated with the cauliflower rice.
- Stir the scrambled eggs back into the mixture, and season to taste as needed.
- Garnish with extra spring onions, sesame seeds and hot sauce to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 499 calories
- Sugar: 8 grams
- Fat: 23 grams
- Carbohydrates: 21 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 54 grams
Keywords: chicken thighs, soy sauce, sesame oil, carrots, peas, gluten-free, healthy, low-carb