Crispy Oven Fries
Learn how to make crispy oven fries without any frying at all!
For years I have been trying to figure out how to make healthy fries at home. I’ve tried more oil. I’ve tried more salt. I’ve tried different oven temperatures, but no avail. Thankfully, I think I have finally mastered homemade, crunchy, and crispy oven fries, without any frying at all.
French fries and I have a tumultuous love affair; I love them and they hate me. I kid. French fries love me, I mean who doesn’t? (Also joking about that. Kind of.) ANYWAY, as a girl who grew up in Quebec french fries were something I ate as a special treat and therefore hold a special place in my heart. Be it a frite sauce at the local Casse-Croûte, the thick skin-on fries with my hot-dog at Valentine, the golden beauties in my poutine to fuel my day of skiing or a galvaude at the local hockey rink (you’ll need to see this one to believe it), I’ve had my fair share of fries. So, after much research and investigation, I decided I needed to figure out the secret to crispy healthy oven fries at home. And by golly did I ever do it! Turns out there are two secrets to crispy oven fries: 1) the type of potato, and 2) the hidden secret of the pre-soak.
How To Make Crispy Fries in the Oven
Learn how to make crispy baked oven fries in 6 simple steps:
- Pick the Potatoes: The best potatoes to make crispy oven fries are russet potatoes; golden brown in colour, crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and not too oily.
- Slice the Potatoes: Slice the potatoes into thin, evenly sized, fries. For extra crispiness, it is best to leave the skin on, however, you can remove it if needed.
- Soak the Potatoes: Once sliced, soak the potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes. The soaking process helps to remove excess starch, naturally found in the potatoes, which results in crispier fries.
- Dry the Potatoes: Once soaked, dry the potatoes well with a tea towel or paper towel. Any excess water will cause the potatoes to steam and result in soggier fries.
- Season the Potatoes: Before adding the fries to the oven, season them with oil, salt, and any additional herbs and spices of your choice.
- Bake the Potatoes: Once seasoned, place the sliced potatoes on a large baking sheet, being careful not to crowd the pan, and then transfer to the oven to bake until golden and crispy.
Once baked, these oven fries are best served immediately for ultimate crispiness and deliciousness!
Crispy Oven-Baked Fries
As for the type of potato, in my opinion, the best potatoes to make fries are russet potatoes; golden brown in colour, crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and not too oily. As for the pre-soak, it turns out it is the starch in the potato that interferences and stops the fries from becoming crispy when you cook them. Therefore, by soaking the potatoes slices in water overnight (or a few hours), removes the troublesome starch which will help the fries achieve the perfect crispness!
What to Serve with Crispy Oven Fries:
Just because you are trying to be healthy doesn’t mean you can’t have fries! Swap these crispy oven fries for regular potatoes at any weeknight meal to help please the whole family.
- 4 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Using a sharp knife, cut the potatoes into 1/4″ sticks. I like to leave the skin on but you can peel them if you want.
- In a large pot or bowl, soak the cut potatoes in water overnight or for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Once the potatoes have soaked, strain off the water and dry the potatoes sticks with a tea towel or paper towel. The more water you can remove, the better they will cook.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Once dried, toss the potatoes in olive oil to ensure they are evenly coated and season with sea salt.
- Place the potatoes on the baking sheet, spreading them out as evenly as possible.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 40 minutes, turning the fries once.
- At the end, I like to broil the potatoes for 2-3 minutes (depending on your oven) to help crisp them up a little more.
- Season with additional sea salt if needed.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 228 calories
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 39 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
Keywords: oven, easy, healthy