Easy Black Bean Burgers
Quick, healthy and homemade, these easy black bean burgers are equally delicious and nutritious!
Nothing says summer like burgers and, whether you’re vegetarian or not, these easy black bean burgers are a recipe that everyone is sure to love. Made with canned black beans, rolled oats and spices, these homemade black bean burgers are ready in 20 minutes, packed full of flavour, fibre and plant-based protein.
Black Bean Burger Ingredients
Although I used rolled oats, spices and soy sauce in my black bean burger recipe, there plenty of different ingredients that you can include. Some of the most common black bean burger patty ingredients include:
- Sweet Potato
- Rolled Oats
- Chipotle Peppers
- Soy Sauce
How to Make Black Bean Burgers
Once you’ve decided what ingredients you want to include in your recipe, making the black bean burgers is pretty straightforward.
- Cook all of the raw ingredients,
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor,
- Blend to until well combined.
- Shape into patties,
How to Cook Black Bean Burgers
Once prepared, black bean burgers can be cooked like any other burger patty; on the grill, in a grill pan, in a skillet or in the oven. For the best results, ensure that your grill or pan is nice and hot before adding the burgers, this will help to ensure that the black bean burger patty does not fall apart. You can also add an egg or two to ensure that the patty holds together nicely.
Best Toppings for Black Bean Burgers
Once cooked, you can top your black bean burger any way you like, just like a regular burger! Some of the most popular black bean burger toppings include:
- Red Onion
- Chipotle Mayo
- And many more!
This black bean burger recipe not only works well as a healthy vegetarian dinner but works equally well as a meal prep idea and can be served hot or cold, as a burger, topped onto a salad or on its own.
More Healthy Black Bean Recipes:Print
Made with canned black beans, rolled oats, soy sauce and spices, these black bean burgers are healthy, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and packed full of flavour!
Black Beans Burgers:
- 2 (15oz) cans black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg (optional)
- Burger buns
- Red Onion
- Chipotle mayo
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- In a food processor or blender, add rolled oats and pulse into a fine meal, about 30 seconds.
- Add black beans, cooked onions, cooked garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, paprika and soy sauce to the food processor and pulse until well incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed. The mixture should be well combined but not too mushy, a few black bean chunks should remain. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. (If you want to add an egg to help bind the mixture, add it at this time by whisking it and incorporating it with a spatula.)
- Remove black bean mixture from the food processor and shape into 4 burger patties.
- Heat a grill, grill pan or pan to medium-high heat (if using a pan, add a drizzle of olive oil), add burger patties to the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes per side until golden brown and heated through.
- Once cooked, add black bean patties to burger buns and layer with toppings of your choice.
- Once cooled, the burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Feel free to add an egg to help bind the mixture if you find it too crumbly or soft.
- Serving Size: 1 patty
- Calories: 272 calories
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 48 grams
- Fiber: 17 grams
- Protein: 16 grams
Keywords: black beans, rolled oats, soy sauce, cumin, healthy, easy, vegetarian