Made with a humble can of chickpeas, these flourless chocolate chip squares are naturally sweetened and naturally gluten-free for a delicious, yet healthy, treat! Paired with a big cup of coffee or a warm cup of tea, these gluten-free blondies or flourless chocolate chip squares are the perfect afternoon snack.
At first glance, I know baking with chickpeas might sound a little odd, but, trust me, it works! Similar to black bean brownies, these gluten-free chocolate chip squares are ooey and gooey and everything you want out of a dessert. In fact, using chickpeas in this recipe not only adds some fiber and plant-based protein but gives these squares their moist and tender texture. I used dark chocolate chips in this recipe because I am a nutritionist after all, but if you wanted to use milk chocolate chips they would also work just fine.
More Flourless Desserts:
Flourless Chocolate Chip Squares
These gluten-free chocolate chip squares are made with peanut butter, however, almond butter, cashew butter or sunflower seed butter would all work just fine!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 14oz can chickpeas, strained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with butter or coconut oil and set aside. You can use a 9 x 9-inch baking pan, however, your squares will be a little short in height.
- In a food processor or blender, combine all of the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) and blend until well combined and a thick and sticky batter forms.
- Once blended, gently fold in chocolate chips until evenly incorporated in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and use a spatula to spread out the batter evenly across the pan.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cooked, allow the gluten-free chocolate chip squares to cool completely before slicing into 9 pieces.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for several months.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 152 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 17 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
Keywords: blondies, gluten-free, flourless, chickpeas, chocolate chips, peanut butter
Leave a Review