Green Breakfast Bowl
A high fibre and high protein vegetarian green breakfast bowl!
Last February John and I went to Australia for a glorious 2-week vacation. I was really excited about going for a little sun, fun, activity and relaxation, but after visiting I can say that the trip blew my expectation out of the water. (No pun intended, it is an island after all.) I figured it would have a healthy vibe; you know fit surfers walking around drinking Foster’s and BBQ’ing, but still somehow managing to have a 6-pack!?! Well, it turns out that is only partially true. People were really active, and social, and fun, but my favourite park was the food culture. Wowza.
I would describe it as vibrant, fresh and healthy with a focus on local, seasonal and organic produce. It was impressive. Finding a healthy place to eat was so easy; I loved it. You could walk into a local coffee shop and order a fresh-pressed green juice pretty much everywhere, they put avocado on everything (winning!), and they really focus on local produce.
One of my favourite things to do while travelling is to find the local restaurant hot spots. I will research for hours before any trip that we go on and make a list of all of the breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurants I want to visit. It may seem excessive to some, but food is really important to me and it is soooo worth the legwork once you get there.
This green breakfast bowl is inspired by Porch & Parlour’s breakfast menu in Bondi Beach. It’s reviewed as one of the Bondi hot spots, and that’s exactly what it was when we arrived. A w eekday morning and there was a line-up 20 deep out the door. If you know John, you know that waiting in line for a restaurant it not his cup of tea; so we opted for the place next door, I cried a little inside, and we watched the line grow. Turns out the place we ate was still really lovely, but I was bummed about not eating at Porch & Parlour, so I did what any good ginger nutritionist would do – I creeped their menu and made my own version of what I would have ordered. And voila – my green breakfast bowl!
More Breakfast Bowls:
Green Breakfast Bowl
Who says you can’t have salad for breakfast?! The warm ooey-gooey yolk of the poached eggs over the quinoa and sautéed greens is just what the doctored ordered.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1/2 cup leftover cooked quinoa
- 4 kale leafs
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 spring onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 handful coriander, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 teaspoon butter or coconut oil
- Crushed chilli flakes
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse kale leaves and roughly chop/tear into small pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat butter/oil on medium heat.
- Dice spring onion and garlic and add to pan. Allow to cook for about 1 minute until soft.
- Add kale leaves and spinach, cover and cook for 5 minutes until greens are bright in colour.
- Add coriander and sauté for another 1 minute, until all liquid from green has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, and add to bowl with re-heated quinoa.
- In a separate pot, bring 1 inch of water to a boil, drop in 2 eggs and simmer for 3 minutes until softly poached.
- Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon to allow excess water to drain.
- Add eggs to bowl of quinoa and greens, and season with chillies, salt and pepper.
- Serve bowl with side of 1/2 avocado.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 388 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 16 grams
- Carbohydrates: 70 grams
- Fiber: 12 grams
- Protein: 30 grams