Healthy homemade hummus three different ways!
The perfect dip, homemade hummus is quick and easy to prepare; just a few ingredients into a blender and you’ve got a healthy ready-made snack. Plus, once you’ve got the classic recipe down the flavour options for are endless.
Truth be told, I don’t make my own homemade hummus that often, but when I do I always wish I did it more. Since hummus is so easy to find in the grocery store, and often made with great ingredient, it is one of those simple snack ideas you can buy at the store to help cut down on prep time. However, if you’ve got the right ingredients on hand, homemade hummus can be whipped together in no time at all. The thing I love most about making homemade hummus is how versatile it is; once you’ve got the basic version down you can essentially add any ingredients you like to create a completely new flavour. This homemade hummus recipe makes a classic version, as well as a roasted red pepper and za’atar spice hummus with only a few extra ingredients, however, feel free to experiment with whatever you have on hand.
The healthy homemade hummus recipe is great on its own, or you can jazz it up with different ingredients to create any flavour you like.
- 15oz can chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus:
- Classic Hummus
- ½ cup roasted red peppers
- Classic Hummus
- 2 teaspoons za’atar seasoning
- Drain the chickpeas into a strainer and rinse under cool running water.
- Add chickpeas to a food processor or blender.
- Add olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic clove and sea salt.
- Blend hummus on high until smooth. You may have to stop the food processor a couple of times to scrape down the sides to remove chunks and ensure it is smooth.
- To make the roasted red pepper or za’atar hummus simply add the extra ingredient and continue to puree until everything is well blended.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. You can add a little more lemon juice to help thin it out, or drizzle of olive oil to make it extra creamy.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 65 calories
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 5 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 2 grams
Keywords: easy, healthy, variations