Lemon Butter Baked Cod
This lemon butter baked cod is the perfect weeknight meal; ready in under 30 minutes, simple to prepare, nutritious and delicious!
I recognize that fish is not everyone’s favourite thing to eat or cook. For whatever reason, many people seem to think that cooking seafood is difficult, but in reality, it’s quite the opposite! Seafood is arguably easier to cook than poultry or red meat, takes less effort and can easily take on any flavour you like. Although there are many options when it comes to white fish, I think cod is a really great option to start with because it has a very mild flavour, flaky texture and pairs well with simple ingredients. Plus, given it’s a source of protein, it can help to create a well-balanced meal and provide some much-needed B12, iodine and selenium.
I opted to keep this recipe simple and include minimal ingredients, however, you could certainly add more vegetables to the pan if you like! For the best results, you’ll want to use the highest quality fish you can find, and for that reason, I source all of my seafood from truLOCAL because they offer sustainably sourced seafood delivered right to your door!Print
This lemon butter baked cod calls for 1 pound of cod which can be divided into three 5oz portions, however, feel free to adjust the amount of cod to serve 2 or 4 people as needed and it won’t affect the recipe too much.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1lbs cod, about 3 fillets
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Fresh parsley, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large oven-proof pan on medium heat, warm the olive oil, then add the shallot and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- While the shallot and garlic are cooking, pat the cod fillets dry with paper towel and then season with salt and pepper on all sides. Set aside.
- Once shallot and garlic are done, add butter, broth and lemon juice, and cook for about 1-2 minutes until all of the butter is melted and give it a good stir.
- Arrange the cod fillets in the pan in the lemon butter sauce, then add the cherry tomatoes.
- Cover the saucepan, with a lid or aluminum foil, and transfer to the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until the cod is tender and flaky, and cherry tomatoes have popped. The exact baking time may vary depending on the thickness of the cod.
- Once cooked, remove cod from the pan and set aside. If you find the lemon butter sauce to thin, simply heat it on the stove top on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes to help it reduce a little.
- To serve, pour lemon butter sauce over cod and tomatoes, and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 221 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Carbohydrates: 8 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 21 grams
Keywords: garlic, tomato, oven, sauce, healthy