Make-Ahead Broccoli & Quinoa Salad
This make-ahead broccoli and quinoa salad is a simple way to ensure lunches are ready for the week, and the flavours of this salad only get better with time.
This broccoli and quinoa salad was actually inspired by a friend, and reader, who shared a very similar recipe with me, and because I thought the idea was clever, I decided to make my own version. One of my favourite things about sharing recipes on my blog is the messages and feedback I get from followers, be it here on Instagram or Facebook. The online world can be weird as you are simply putting content out into the world and waiting to see what happens, so hearing from people who actually make (and enjoy) my recipes is incredibly rewarding.
When I started working as a nutritionist, never did I ever imagine I would be sharing recipes on my website. My goal was also to help people learn to eat better, but as a self-taught cook, I never saw myself teaching others to cook themselves. It wasn’t until I really started working with people individually that I realized that for many knowing what to eat was not the issue, but rather how to prepare it was. I wasn’t always good in the kitchen (and I still have a lot to learn), but when I grew the confidence to start experimenting a little bit more and going outside of my comfort zone, I found eating well a heck of a lot easier. When the food you cook actually tastes half decent it makes eating well a whole lot more enjoyable.
This make-ahead broccoli and quinoa salad is a basic recipe that cooks of all levels can create. If you can boil, chop and stir, you’ll be able to whip this dish up in no time. This recipe is ideal for meal prep as it makes several portions so you’ll have lots of leftovers for easy grab-and-go lunches and dinners, plus the longer it sits the more the dressing absorbs into the veggies and the better it tastes.
Looking for more make-ahead salads? Check out these delicious recipes:
- Summer Bean Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- Asian Quinoa Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- Make-Ahead Lentil Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
Make-Ahead Broccoli and Quinoa Salad
This broccoli and quinoa salad can be served immediately but tastes best the next day once the dressing has been absorbed, and it can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salads, Sides
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 head broccoli
- 1/2 cup quinoa, dry
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Begin by cooking the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa in a fine colander under running water. In a medium pot, combine 1 cup water or broth, 1/2 cup dry quinoa and a pinch of sea salt, bring to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce to a simmer for 12-15 minutes until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl or jar, combine lemon juice, mustard, honey, sea salt and black pepper, and drizzle in olive oil whisking to combine.
- Trim broccoli into florets (discard stems) and cut into manageable bite-size pieces, and combine in a large bowl with slivered almonds and sliced shallots.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, add it to the broccoli mixture, cover with dressing and toss well to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- The salad can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 303 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 20 grams
- Carbohydrates: 28 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 8 grams
Keywords: broccoli, cold, easy, healthy