Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
Packed full of scrambled eggs, black beans, vegetables, and Mexican-inspired spices, these freezer-friendly meal prep breakfast burritos are a great make-ahead breakfast for weekday mornings.
If you love breakfast burritos, you’re going to love this meal prep breakfast burritos recipe. Not only are these breakfast burritos a high-protein and high-fibre meal, but they are easy to make, full of flavour, and store well in the freezer for months to come. If you ask me, these make-ahead breakfast burritos are the perfect strategy for stress-free mornings and are filling enough to keep you going until lunch.
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
Making breakfast burritos is as simple as making dinner burritos, you just need to use breakfast ingredients! Everything from eggs to potatoes to beans and vegetables works well in a breakfast burrito and, once rolled, they store well in the fridge or freezer for days and months to come. Although the filling options are endless, here is a simple formula to get you started:
- Scramble the Eggs. Scrambled eggs are the foundation of any good breakfast burrito. Feel free to add as many (or as few) eggs as you like.
- Cook the Vegetables. A classic breakfast burrito will include a combination of peppers and onion, but you can truly use any vegetables you like.
- Pick your Toppings. Once you’ve built your foundation, you can top your breakfast burrito with any toppings you like. Some of the more popular toppings include salsa, cheese, cilantro, spring onion and avocado.
- Wrap in a Tortilla. Breakfast burritos can be wrapped in flour or corn tortillas, however, flour tortillas tend to freeze better. Look for 10 or 12-inch tortillas, often labelled “large”, as anything smaller will make it tough to fit all of the ingredients.
Voila! For the best results, you’ll want to assemble the breakfast burritos when all of the ingredients are at room temperature to avoid the burritos from getting soggy.
How to Freeze Breakfast Burritos
Preparing breakfast burritos to stock your freezer is really easy and only takes about 30 minutes. Once all of the filling ingredients are prepared, all you need to do is roll the burritos, wrap them tightly in foil or saran wrap, store them in a bag in the freezer and they’ll be ready to go whenever you need them. Here is how to freeze breakfast burritos:
- Prepare the eggs and fillings for the burritos,
- Fill the tortillas with the fillings,
- Wrap the tortillas into burritos,
- Wrap the burritos tightly in foil,
- Store in the freezer,
- Thaw, reheat and eat!
Once wrapped, frozen breakfast burritos can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Are Breakfast Burritos Healthy?
Contrary to popular belief, breakfast burritos are a very healthy breakfast. When the ingredients are selected with care, breakfast burritos are typically solely made of whole foods and are a well-balanced meal complete with protein, healthy fats and fibre. The inclusion of eggs in this recipe helps to provide a boost of protein and healthy fats, the addition of black beans helps to provide some additional plant-based protein and complex carbohydrates, while the vegetables help to provide some additional fibre along with the wheat tortilla to create a balanced breakfast.
Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
Whip up these freezer breakfast burritos today and you’ll have a healthy, high-protein, high-fibre, grab-and-go breakfast ready in the freezer whenever you need it.
More Meal-Prep Breakfast Ideas:
These meal prep breakfast burritos are the perfect make-ahead breakfast for busy weekday mornings! Packed full of beans, eggs and vegetables, these breakfast burritos are rich in fibre and high in protein.
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 8 eggs, whisked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 14 oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Additional Toppings (optional):
- Hot Sauce
- Spring onion
- Heat butter in a pan over medium heat, add whisked eggs and cook, stirring constantly with a spoon or spatula, until they being to set into soft scrambled eggs. Transfer the eggs to a bowl, set aside and allow to cool completely.
- In the same pan, add onion and bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender. Add black beans, chili powder, cumin, a pinch of salt and pepper, and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until beans are warm and lightly charred on the outside. Once cooked, remove the pan from the heat, transfer the bean mixture to a bowl, set aside and allow to cool completely. (Allowing the eggs and vegetable mixture to cool helps to ensure that you don’t create a soggy burrito.)
- Once all of the fillings have cooled, you can assemble the breakfast burritos. Lay a tortilla flat on a cutting board, top with a 1/4 cup the egg mixture, 1/4 of the bean mixture, 1 ounce of cheese, a small handful of cilantro, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- To wrap, fold in both sides of the tortilla, fold the bottom up and over all of the ingredients, and roll up tightly. Continue until all of the burritos are rolled.
- Once rolled, wrap the burritos in parchment paper and/or aluminium foil.
- The burritos can be stored in a plastic bag or airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 543 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 25 grams
- Carbohydrates: 49 grams
- Fiber: 9 grams
- Protein: 31 grams
Keywords: freezer, frozen, healthy, easy