This pesto potato salad is a quick and easy side dish that is perfect for any summer BBQ. It can be served hot or cold and keeps really well in the fridge so you can enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for days to come.
There are essentially two ways to make this recipe; 1) as per the directions, or 2) the shortcut way, and the shortcut way is probably the way I would go myself. Although this recipe includes a scratch-made pesto, finding a good quality store-bought pesto is actually really easy, and it can save you a ton of time and money. When shopping for pesto, ensure that you read the ingredients and opt for versions made with olive oil as opposed to vegetable or canola oil whenever possible, as this will help to limit the inflammatory effects of vegetable oils while maximizing flavor. Since pesto is so versatile, it’s a great staple ingredient to keep on hand as it can be used as a condiment for meat, eggs, and vegetables or used as a simple dressing for salads.
Pesto Potato Salad
Hot or cold, this pesto potato salad is a great side dish for any summer BBQ! Plus, it stores well in the fridge as leftovers for days to come.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salads, Sides
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- Diet: Low Calorie
- 1 1/2 lbs baby potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add potatoes and cook for 12-15 minutes until they are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- In a seperate small pot, bring water to a boil, gently add eggs, and boil until cooked to your liking; 8 minutes for medium, 10 minutes for hard-boiled, or 12 minutes for extra hard-boiled.
- While the potatoes and the eggs are cooking, combine the olive oil, basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesean cheese, a pinch of salt and pepper in a blender, and blend until smooth. You may need to add more oil to get the desired consistency, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the eggs have finished cooking, remove them from the pot and submerge them in a bowl of cold water to cool. Once cool to the touch, peel the eggs and then cut them into quarters.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, strain them and then run them under cold water to help stop the cooking process.
- Once potatoes have cooled slightly, cut them into bite-size pieces, halved or quartered is fine, and add them to a large bowl.
- Once all of the potatoes have been cut, cover the potatoes with the pesto and then toss to combine. Set aside and allow to cool. (This salad can also be served warm if you prefer.)
- Once you are ready to serve, top potatoes with eggs, and season with additional parmeseam cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- This salad can be eaten immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 223 calories
- Sugar: 1 grams
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Keywords: creamy, egg, basil, healthy
Leave a Review