Pico de Gallo (Fresh Salsa)
Pico de gallo, also known as salsa fresca, salsa cruda or fresh salsa, is a type of fresh salsa used in Mexican cuisine that is made of chopped tomato, onion, Serrano peppers, with salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro. This pico de gallo recipe is my take on the classic recipe.
I love fresh salsa; it’s incredibly fragrant and you can honestly add it to just about any dish. I used to always buy the jarred stuff and use it as a healthy condiment to add more flavour to meals, but when I realized how easy it was to make the fresh stuff myself, I was hooked. Pico de gallo, also known as salsa fresca, is simply a chopped combination of fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and lime juice, essentially an uncooked salsa. Like with most traditional dishes there are many variations, so this just happens to my personal version. I like to make a batch in advance and use it as a fresh and flavourful condiment to add to my meals. This pico de gallo goes well with any Mexican dish, but can also be added to eggs, salads or grilled meats or fish for extra flavour and spice.
I’ve added a jalapeno to this pico de gallo recipe, but if you don’t like things too spicy, simply add half or omit it altogether.
- 5 firm tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic. The finer that you can mince the garlic the better it will be, as it will add more flavour to the salsa. If you don’t have great knife skills you could also use a small food processor.
- Chop the tomatoes into 4 wedges, remove the seeds and dice the flesh into small bite size pieces.
- Remove the top of the jalapeno, slice it lengthwise and remove all of the seeds. Dice the flesh into small pieces.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato, and jalapeno to a bowl. Season with sea salt, squeeze in the juice of one lime and toss well to combine.
- Roughly chop the cilantro into small pieces, add to the bowl and toss well to incorporate.
- Season with extra sea salt and lime juice to taste. As the pico de gallo sits, the flavour will incorporate together over time.
- Store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 22 calories
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 5 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 1 gram
Keywords: easy, homemade, healthy