Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins
These gluten-free morning glory muffins are healthy, easy to make and packed full of flavour!
The morning glory muffin is my absolute favourite muffin, it’s pretty much loaded with everything but the kitchen sink and makes a real satisfying snack. Legend has it, the original morning glory muffin was created by a lovely woman named Pam in 1978 on Nantuket Island. Now, I’ve never met Pam, but I already know I like her, and although I’m a big fan of her muffins, the nutritionist in me is not a huge fan of her ingredients. So, I’ve taken some very important time to experiment and create an updated version of this popular snack idea that’s full of nutritious goodness without compromising on flavour.
These gluten-free morning glory muffins require a little extra effort in preparation but they make up for it in flavour. Make a double batch and freeze them for a quick breakfast or snack for weeks to come.
- 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup raw honey or natural maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot (1 large)
- 1 cup grated apple (Gala or McCintosh work well, but any red apple will do)
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup chopped dates (or raisins)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger (or 1″ fresh ginger root, grated)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients; mashed sweet potato, eggs, maple syrup, grated carrot, apple, and ginger until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients; almond flour, shredded coconut, dates, walnuts, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt until well combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well until a thick batter forms.
- Grease the muffin tray with coconut oil, or line cups with muffin cups.
- Using a spoon, scoop batter into the muffin tray, filling the cups to the top. (This batter does not rise a lot.)
- Place muffin tray on the center rack in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Bake muffins until they test clean when poked with a fork or toothpick.
- Allow muffins to cool at least 20 minutes before eating.
- These gluten-free morning glory muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipe adapted from The Roasted Root.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 236 calories
- Sugar: 9 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Keywords: healthy, paleo, flourless, almond flour