Looking for a quick and easy soup that is delicious and nutritious? Look no further than this curried butternut squash soup. Not only is this recipe ready in 30 minutes, but it stores well in the freezer, so make a double batch and you’ll have healthy soup ready to go whenever you need it.
This coconut curry butternut squash soup is one of my go-to fall recipes. Although it’s not always at the top of everyone’s grocery list, squash is an inexpensive and versatile ingredient that is perfect for fall recipes. If I’m being honest, squash can be a little bland on its own, so it’s particularly delicious when roasted, grilled or paired with fragrant spices.
Prefer to watch the video?
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”sAw4BUrL” upload-date=”2023-02-10T17:18:47.000Z” name=”Curried Butternut Squash Soup” description=”This simple, 30-minute curried butternut squash soup with coconut milk is easy to make and full of flavor! This recipe is dairy-free.” player-type=”collapse” override-embed=”false”]
This recipe calls for a blend of curry powder, cumin, coriander and crushed chillies, however, you can easily mix and match the spices and increase or decrease the spice level to your liking. Not to mention, if you don’t have any curry powder, a red Thai curry paste would work just as well and provide delicious flavour!
This squash soup is rich in flavour and packs a real nutritional punch. Loaded with powerful antioxidants, vitamins A and vitamin C, this curried butternut squash soup is the perfect recipe to help you beat the cold weather flu, while making meals quick, easy and delicious at the same time.
More Butternut Squash Recipes:Print
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This curried butternut squash soup with coconut milk can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer to keep you going through the week.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- Toppings: Fresh cilantro, green onion and crushed chillies
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add and warm the olive oil.
- Add onion and allow to cook, stirring often, for about 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Heat until ingredients are soft, being careful not to burn them.
- Add curry powder, cumin, coriander, chillies and salt, stir to combine with the onion mixture, and allow to heat for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add squash and stir to coat with the onion mixture.
- Add coconut milk and broth, only adding enough broth to cover the squash. (You can always add more broth or water at the end if the soup is too thick.)
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender.
- Once cooked, purée the soup until smooth using an immersion blender or in batches using a bar blender. Season with additional salt to taste as needed.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh coriander, green onion and/or chillies as desired.
- This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 183 calories
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 17 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 2 grams
Keywords: curried, coconut milk