Tart, sweet and sticky, this rhubarb salad is a delicious summer side dish! Although typically known for desserts, rhubarb works incredibly well in sweet and savoury dishes, and this roasted rhubarb salad with goat cheese and walnuts shows us just that.
I’m going to be honest, the flavour in this salad totally took me by surprise and I am obsessed with it! Rhubarb is one of those vegetables that I always see at my farmers market, and although I have good intentions of buying it, I never quite know what to do with it. Aside from loading it into a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp or making a compote, I had seen rhubarb used as a savoury topping to grilled meats, so I figured there must be a fun way to use it in a salad, and oh am I ever pleased I did!
The flavour of this roasted rhubarb salad is similar to adding fresh berries or fruit to a salad, it adds a burst of freshness without making it overly sweet. On its own, rhubarb is a very tart vegetable and I would not suggest adding it to the salad raw, however, when roasted (with a little drizzle of honey of course) it turns into the most tender and delicious treat. I opted to pair the soft and sweet rhubarb with some salty goat’s cheese and crunchy walnuts for a little contrast. The dressing for this salad is really simple because I wanted to showcase the rhubarb itself, but a balsamic dressing would work well too.
You can easily make the roasted rhubarb ahead of time, and add it to the salad as needed, but be sure to make a little extra because I can assure you you’ll be eating it right off the pan.
Roasted Rhubarb Salad
This rhubarb salad calls for mixed greens, however, spinach or baby kale would work well too.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roasted & By Hand
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- 8 cups mixed spring greens
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Honey Mustard Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place chopped rhubarb a small bowl, drizzle in honey and pinch of sea salt and stir to ensure all pieces are well coated.
- Place the rhubarb on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven for 8 minutes until rhubarb is tender but not too mushy.
- While the rhubarb is cooking, make the dressing. Add olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and sea salt to a jar or bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
- Once the rhubarb is roasted, remove it from the oven, set it aside and allow it to cool slightly.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the mixed greens, goat cheese and chopped walnuts, and top with roasted rhubarb.
- Drizzle with dressing to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 218 calories
- Sugar: 8 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Carbohydrates: 11 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 7 grams