Simple Greek Salad
This simple Greek salad is a fresh, fragrant and colourful salad that pairs well with grilled meats or on its own for a simple lunch or dinner.
Greek food is one of my favourite things to eat out, and although I have yet to visit Greece, it is certainly on my travel bucket list. The thing I love the most about Greek food (at least the Greek food I’ve tasted) is how simple it is. Simple ingredient put together in simple ways that create maximum flavour. Although I am all for fancy restaurants and gastronomy from time to time, the food that really impresses me is simple food done exceptionally well. If you think that creating tasty dishes in the kitchen means that you need fancy ingredients and kitchen skills, think again. The best dishes are the ones that have been around for generations, passed down by family members, and the ones that use fresh and quality ingredients.
The key to this simple Greek salad is using a high-quality feta cheese. Feta is a brined curd white cheese made from sheep’s or goat’s milk or a mixture of the two. There are many varieties now available in grocery stores, but if possible opt for a Greek-style feta made of goat or sheep’s milk, as some stores now carry cow’s milk feta. My local farmers’ market sells sheep’s milk feta, so you can always try looking at yours to see what they might have available locally.
This recipe is my take on a classic Greek Salad using minimal ingredients for maximum flavour; fresh vegetables, studded with briny olives, and salty bites of feta make this salad irresistible and every bite interesting. This simple Greek salad is best made with tomatoes and cucumbers that are in season, but it will honestly work with any ones you can find!
Simple Greek Salad
This simple Greek salad is a fresh, fragrant and colourful salad that pairs well with grilled meats or on its own as a great lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: By Hand
- Cuisine: Greek
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 200g Feta Cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables. Slice the cucumber lengthwise in half and then into quarters, and chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Cut the tomatoes into chunks. Core bell pepper and cut into chunks. Slice onion into thin strips.
- Add chopped cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and olives to a bowl.
- Drizzle salad with dressing mixture and toss to combine. Crumble with goat cheese and toss gently again to combine.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to blend.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 230 calories
- Sugar: 9 grams
- Fat: 29 grams
- Carbohydrates: 18 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 10 grams
Keywords: easy, healthy, dressing