Summer Squash & Herb Frittata
Combine your favourite summer vegetables with fresh herbs and creamy goat cheese for this super simple summer squash and herb Frittata.
I think a frittata is a simple cooking skill that everyone should master; they are inexpensive, quick-cooking and incredibly versatile making them a great breakfast, lunch or dinner whenever you are in a pinch. By simply combining eggs with vegetables, herbs, meats, cheese or potatoes you can create a culinary masterpiece with very little effort, and a well-balanced meal with lots of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats, and, if you ask me, this summer squash and herb frittata is a delicious way to do it!
If you’ve never made one, a frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, similar to an omelette or crustless quiche, and although they might seem difficult to prepare, they are actually incredibly simple to make. You don’t need to be an expert in the kitchen because just a few basic tips can help you create a perfect frittata every time:
An oven-proof skillet is the key to a well-cooked frittata. You want to start the cooking process on the stovetop, but transferring it to the oven to bake helps ensure an even cooking process.
Beat the eggs only enough to blend the yolks and whites; overbeating will cause the frittata to proof in the oven and fall into a denser cake-like texture when cooked.
Add flavour to your frittata with lots of fresh herbs, spices, and cheeses, and be sure to season generously with sea salt and pepper.
Be sure to pre-cook any vegetables you add, as adding them raw will not allow them to soften entirely during the cooking process and lead to a crunchy frittata.
Frittatas can be made to serve or made ahead of time, and some might argue they taste better when made in advance.
One frittata makes plenty for four to six people with a side dish, and more than enough for two. This zucchini and herb frittata is a delicious lunch paired with a simple side salad, or make one ahead of time for quick and easy grab-and-go breakfasts every morning.
Summer Squash & Herb Frittata
Made with zucchini, fresh herbs and creamy goat cheese, this summer squash and herb frittata works equally well a healthy breakfast or simple dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 slices 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop & Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1/3 cup soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup (packed) mixed fresh tender herbs (chives, basil, parsley or tarragon)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove ends from zucchini and use a cheese grater to grate zucchini into small pieces.
- In a bowl or strainer, use your hands to squeeze excess liquid out of zucchini (this is key to avoiding a soggy frittata).
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add zucchini to the skillet and season with another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until zucchini is cooked through and beginning to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in butter until melted.
- In a large bowl, crack and whisk eggs, season with salt and pepper, and stir in herbs.
- Pour egg and herb mixture into the skillet with zucchini.
- Cook, gently stirring egg mixture frequently until edges are slightly set, about 5 minutes.
- Add dollops of soft goat cheese to the pan, as evenly distributed as possible. (You want cheese in every slice!)
- Transfer skillet to the oven and bake until puffed slightly and the centre is set, about 12–15 minutes.
- Remove frittata from the oven and allow to cool in pan at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 269 calories
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Fat: 20 grams
- Carbohydrates: 2 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Protein: 19 grams
Keywords: egg, zucchini, herb, baked, easy, healthy