Sweet Potato Puree
To call this sweet potato puree a “recipe” is probably a bit of a stretch, but it’s just so good I wanted to include it here for you all. The recipe for these sweet potatoes is as simple as it might sound, and yet their nutritional value is so much more complex. Sweet potatoes are a rich source of starch and fiber, vitamin A, as well as many phytonutrients, making them a great source of energy and addition to any meal.
Since sweet potatoes are an incredibly versatile ingredient that can be baked, roasted, boiled, mashed or turned into rich and creamy purees like this one. One of the reasons I like sweet potatoes so much is because they are so naturally flavourful and of course sweet. Because they are so tasty and creamy, you really don’t need to add any extra ingredients to this recipe, just a little salt and pepper is all you need.
More Healthy Side Recipes:
Sweet Potato Puree
Some recipes will call for the addition of milk, cream or stock to the sweet potato puree, but I think they taste best on their own with a generous season of salt and pepper.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Black pepper
- Wash, peel and chop sweet potatoes into 1” cubes.
- To cook the sweet potatoes, you can either boil or steam them. Steaming will retain more of the nutrition, but boiling works well too.
- To boil, bring a pot of water to a boil, add diced sweet potatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork.
- To steam, add diced potatoes to a steamer and cook for 25-30 minutes until potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are tender, strain the water and add them to a food processor or blender with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Puree on high for 1-2 minutes until completely smooth.
- You can also use a potato masher if you don’t have a food processor, they just won’t be as smooth in texture.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 56 calories
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 0 gram
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
Keywords: easy, healthy