Jalapeno Lime Chicken Burgers
Chicken burgers are notorious for being boring and dry, but these jalapeno lime chicken burgers help to spice things up for a flavourful burger every time.
When I hear the words “chicken burger”, I typically think of something dry, boring and unsavoury. That is likely because that describes most of the chicken burgers I have eaten in my years; they come out of a box at a family BBQ, are overcooked and the blandest thing you have ever eaten. So no wonder the words “chicken burger” don’t always appeal to me, but fortunately there is a better way to do this simple burger.
I think the biggest issue with chicken burgers, or turkey burgers, is keeping them moist and adding flavour, because there is nothing worse than a dry, flavourless burger! For these Jalapeno Lime Chicken Burgers, I went with a little Mexican inspiration and added flavour with some herbs and spices to help pack a little extra punch, and as for texture, it all comes down to the cooking method. Some people like to add breadcrumbs to help keep burgers moist, however, I like to add onion and pay a little more attention to ensure I am not overcooking them. If you are doing chicken burgers on the grill, ensure that your grill is nice hot before adding the meat and only cook them until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF to not overcook them. If you are making the on the stovetop, sear them first in a grill pan on both sides before transferring them to the oven to finish off the cooking.
Whether you are looking to avoid red meat, or simply prefer chicken, these jalapeno lime chicken burgers are great served on a bun or as a salad topper for fun and spicy meal.
Jalapeno Lime Chicken Burgers
Chicken burgers are notorious for being boring and dry, but these jalapeno lime chicken burgers help to spice things up for a flavourful burger every time!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 burgers 1x
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- Diet: Low Calorie
- 1lb ground chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, guacamole, tomatoes, salsa, red onion
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and use your hands to ensure the ingredients are well combined.
- Separate the chicken mixture into 4 and form into patties using your hands. (This recipe makes 4 large patties or 6 medium sized patties.)
- Season the burgers with a little extra pinch of salt and pepper on both sides before adding them to the grill.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to a medium heat, and cook patties for 5-7 minutes per side until cooked through to an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Dress burgers with toppings of your choice to serve. I opted for guacamole, tomato, and leaf lettuce.
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 204 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrates: 7 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 22 grams
Keywords: homemade, lime, cilantro, healthy, easy