Cucumber and Radish Salad
This simple Cucumber and Radish Salad with Dill Vinaigrette is filled with the fresh flavours of summer in every bite.
When it comes to cooking, sometimes the simplest recipes are the absolute best, and although I love cooking with spices and ingredients from around the world, my favourite dishes are the ones that come from closest to home. As someone who lives in a city centre, I rely heavily on the support and hard work of farmers to bring me produce from farm to fork, so I do my best to shop locally as much as I possibly can. I haven’t always been a farmer’s market kind of gal, like most people I used to buy all of my produce from the grocery store (which I still think is totally fine for eating well), but the more I’ve learned about food the more I’ve felt a need to shop and eat local. As consumers, I think it is very easy for us to get disconnected from our food; where it comes from, who made it and how it got to our plate. It is so easy for us to look at a tomato like it is just a tomato, but when you consider how it goes from seed, to plant, to fruit to market you understand that there is so much more to the process than just plucking it off the grocery store shelf.
With so many great markets in the Ottawa area and many other regions in the country, shopping local is much easier than most people think. Yes, it might take a little more time and a little more research, but it’s really not as difficult or time-consuming as people make it out to be, and I can assure it is totally worth it. Not only is it ideal for freshness and nutritional value, but for flavour and for the community.
This summer I’ve partnered with an amazing local farm, Hendrick Farm, to bring some fresh new recipes to the table (literally). Only a 20-minute drive from Ottawa, their farm stand and CSA program are bringing tonnes of fresh seasonal produce to the community, and this Cucumber and Radish Salad with Dill Vinaigrette is just one of many recipes to come.
Cucumber and Radish Salad
The cucumber and radishes can be dressed with the vinaigrette ahead of time, this helps them to absorb more of the dressing for extra flavour. Simply combine with the spring greens to serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 1 bunch spring greens (about 4 cups)
- 1 bunch radishes (10-12 radishes)
- 1 cucumber
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped dill (4-6 sprigs)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Fresh pepper, to taste
- Begin by preparing the dressing. In a small bowl or jar, combine the vinaigrette ingredients, whisk together and set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables. Wash the spring greens and towel dry, thinly slice the radishes and cucumbers into rounds. The thinner they are the more they will absorb the dressing.
- In a large bowl or plate, combine the spring greens, sliced radishes, and sliced cucumbers and drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!