If you’re looking for a ridiculously easy recipe for coleslaw, look no further than this one! Made with a simple homemade dressing, shredded cabbage, and carrots, this apple cider vinegar coleslaw is a healthy and hearty side dish that works well for any meal of the day.
This vinegar coleslaw recipe is so quick and easy to make it’s the perfect side dish for a summer BBQ. Although a more traditional coleslaw recipe calls for a mayo-based dressing, a vinegar-based dressing is a great way to create a healthy coleslaw that is still packed with flavour. For this particular recipe, I used an apple cider vinegar dressing because it’s a great combination of tangy and sweet and it provides numerous health benefits at the same time. Not only is apple cider vinegar known for aiding digestion and blood sugar regulation, but the cabbage and carrots help to increase the overall fibre content of the dish.
For the best results, be sure to slice your cabbage and carrots thinly using a sharp knife or mandolin slicer. Not only will this make for a better texture, but it will allow the vegetables to absorb more of the apple cider vinegar dressing.
Plus, although this healthy vinegar coleslaw recipe calls for a combination of green and red cabbage you can truly use any combination of cabbage you have on hand and, if you wanted to make this dish extra colourful, a couple of handfuls of freshly chopped kale is a great compliment to the tangy flavours in this apple cider vinegar coleslaw.
Apple Cider Vinegar Coleslaw
A quick and easy apple cider vinegar coleslaw recipe made with crunchy green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots and green onion. This vinegar coleslaw is mayo-free and made with a tangy vinegar dressing with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey and mustard.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Salads, Sides
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded or thinly sliced
- 3 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grainy or Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- In a large bowl, add the green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot and green onion, and toss until well combined.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, mustard and honey, and whisk until well combined.
- Cover the cabbage mixture with the dressing, using tongs or your hands to ensure that everything is well coated with dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and chill in the fridge before serving.
- This vinegar coleslaw can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 131 calories
- Sugar: 11 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 16 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
Keywords: apple cider vinegar, oil and vinegar, no mayo, healthy, best
Leave a Review