Made with chicken breasts and Greek yogurt, these chicken salad meal prep bowls are a quick and easy make-ahead lunch idea that is packed full of protein and veggies.
If you like chopped chicken salad but want something a little different, this chicken salad meal prep recipe is a fun twist on the classic sandwich.
Instead of serving the chicken salad on bread or toast, you can serve it with your favorite crackers and veggies for a quick and easy lunch idea that is packed full of protein and fiber. Not to mention, you can serve it in smaller portion as a healthy snack idea too.
Why You’ll Love Them
- Quick – This chicken salad recipe is a great way to use leftover chicken and is very easy to make.
- High in Protein – Each serving contains almost 30 grams of protein.
- Great for Meal Prep – These bowls keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Versatile – You can mix and match the components of the contains to serve them any way you like.
What You’ll Need
- Cooked Chicken – The recipe calls for cooked chicken breast, but you can use any cut of leftover chicken you like or use a rotisserie chicken instead.
- Celery – To add some crunch.
- Red Onion – To add some bite and sharpness. Feel free to use green onions if you prefer.
- Mayonnaise – To make the creamy dressing.
- Greek Yogurt – To add creaminess and a bit of protein.
- Dijon Mustard – To enhance the flavor of the chicken salad.
- Dill – The recipe calls for dried dill but you can use triple the amount of fresh dill.
- Parsley – The recipe calls for dried parsley but you can use triple the amount of fresh dill.
- Salt and Pepper – To season the chicken salad.
To Make it Gluten-Free: No adaptations are needed, this recipe is gluten-free.
To Make it Dairy-Free: Replace the yogurt with additional mayonnaise.
How to Make an Easy Chicken Salad
- Chop the chicken. Dice or shred the cooked chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces, then place them in a large bowl.
- Add the veggies. Add the diced celery and red onion to the bowl.
- Add the dressing. Add the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the salad. Give everything a good stir and mix until well combined.
- Season to taste. Taste the chicken salad and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Add to containers. Divide the chicken salad, crackers, carrot sticks, and celery sticks evenly across meal prep containers, cover, and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can find the detailed instructions for this meal prep chicken salad recipe in the recipe card below.
Red’s Nutrition Tip
Making the dressing for this chicken salad with a mixture of mayonnaise and Greek yogurt ensures that the dressing is creamy and flavorful while being moderate in calories. With that said, it’s important to note that mayonnaise is not unhealthy, as it’s made with oil, egg yolks, vinegar or lemon juice, and mustard, it’s just rich. If you prefer to make the dressing solely of mayonnaise, know that you are still making a nutritious choice.
Yes, chicken salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days making it a great meal prep idea.
Yes, chicken salad is a high-protein, low-carb option that is good for weight loss. If you are in a calorie deficit, eating chicken salad can support a weight loss goal.
Absolutely! Chicken salad is high in protein and healthy fats can be eaten as a meal. By serving it with crackers and vegetables you can ensure the meal is more balanced by adding complex carbohydrates and fiber.
How to Serve It
Meal prep chicken salad can be served with:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell peppers
- Lettuce wrap
Once mixed, the chicken salad can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
More Chicken Salad Recipes:Print
Chicken Salad Meal Prep Bowls
These chicken salad meal prep bowls can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days so you can enjoy them for lunch all week long.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 containers 1x
- Category: Meal Prep
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups cooked chicken breasts, finely chopped or shredded
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 32 crackers
- 1 cup carrot sticks
- 1 cup celery sticks
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, add the chopped chicken, diced celery, diced onion, mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Using a large spoon or spatula, mix everything together until well combined. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste as needed.
- Divide the chicken evenly across 4 meal prep containers, laying it on top of a large lettuce leaf. Add crackers, carrot sticks, and celery sticks to each container, dividing them evenly.
- Cover each container with a lid and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If using fresh herbs, use triple the amount; 3 teaspoons of fresh dill and 3 teaspoons of dried parsley.
- Serving Size: 1 container
- Calories: 401 calories
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 17 grams
- Carbohydrates: 32 grams
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Protein: 29 grams