Looking for a healthy and easy lunch idea? Give this chickpea salad sandwich recipe a try! Learn how to turn a humble can of chickpeas into a vegetarian version of a healthy tuna salad.
This chickpea salad sandwich is a cross between a tuna salad and a chicken salad sandwich that is equally tasty and full of flavor. Also known as chickpea “tuna” salad and chickpea “chicken” salad, smashed chickpea salad is a fun way to use a can of chickpeas to create something a little different and is a great way to make a quick and easy meal that is full of fiber and plant-based protein.
What You’ll Need
New to smashed chickpea salad? No problem, here’s what you need to make it.
- Chickpeas: As you may have guessed, chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are the star of the chickpea salad sandwich show. I used canned chickpeas to help cut down on prep time, but you could certainly cook your own chickpeas if you prefer.
- Mayonnaise: A crucial ingredient in any good smashed chickpea salad.
- Yogurt: To add a bit of tang and flavor to the chickpeas.
- Celery and Onion: To add a bit of crunch and color.
- Dill and Parsley: Some herbs to balance out the flavor. You can use dried or fresh dill and parsley.
- Salt and Pepper: To season the chickpeas.
- Bread: Feel free to use any bread you like, toasted or untoasted.
- Lettuce: Some leafy greens for color and fiber, you can also add more veggies if you like.
In addition to the above ingredients, you can also season your chickpea mixture with additional herbs, spices, and ingredients to taste such as garlic powder, chives, red bell peppers, capers, sweet relish, or Dijon mustard.
To Make it Gluten-Free: The smashed chickpea salad is gluten-free, simply use gluten-free bread to make the sandwich gluten-free.
To Make it Dairy-Free: Swap the yogurt for additional mayonnaise or use a plant-based yogurt, such as coconut milk, almond milk, or oat milk yogurt, instead.
To Make it Vegan: Swap traditional mayonnaise for vegan mayo and swap the yogurt for a plant-based yogurt.
How to Make a Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Here’s how you’ll make a smashed chickpea salad for a sandwich:
- Strain and rinse the can of chickpeas to remove the excess brine, then add them to a bowl.
- Smash the chickpeas into a chunky mixture using the back of a fork.
- Chop the celery and red onion into small pieces and add them to the chickpea mixture.
- Season the mixture with dill, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in the mayonnaise and yogurt and give the chickpea mixture a good stir until everything is well combined.
- Serve the smashed chickpea salad mixture on bread with a few leaves of lettuce to create a sandwich.
While any bread will do, I like to use a simple sourdough or whole grain bread as I think they provide the best taste and texture, however, rye bread would also work well.
Red’s Nutrition Tip
Chickpeas are primarily a source of complex carbohydrates and fiber, containing roughly 3 times more carbohydrates than protein per gram. However, compared to other sources of complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains, chickpeas contain higher levels of protein, which makes them a good ingredient to increase vegetarian protein content in plant-based meals.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Serving Suggestions
Although I opted to keep the toppings simple and only add a bit of lettuce to my sandwich, you can certainly add more veggies if you like. I think some thinly sliced tomato, cucumber, and radish would work particularly nicely, as would some shredded carrots and broccoli sprouts.
In addition to serving the smashed chickpea salad on bread, you can also serve it in a pita or wrap, on top of flatbread or green salad, or enjoy it on its own with crackers or potato chips.
Whether you prefer to follow a vegetarian diet, want to reduce your meat consumption, or just enjoy lighter fare, a chickpea salad sandwich is a delicious, healthy alternative to regular chicken salad. Not to mention, chickpeas, especially when purchased dry, are incredibly inexpensive compared to tuna or chicken, which makes this smashed chickpea salad sandwich a very budget-friendly meal.
More Healthy Chickpea Recipes:Print
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This chickpea salad sandwich is a filling lunch that is rich in fiber, full of plant-based protein, and easy to make.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: By Hand
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons celery, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 cups lettuce
- Strain and rinse the chickpeas, then transfer them to a medium bowl.
- Using a fork or a potato masher, smash the chickpeas into a chunky mixture. (Optional: You can also add the chickpeas to a food processor and pulse them a few times until a chunky mixture is formed, just be careful not to over-blend them as you don’t want the mixture too mushy.)
- Once you’ve smashed the chickpeas, add the mayonnaise, yogurt, red onion, celery, parsley, dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the bowl and fold the mixture together until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place a slice of bread on a cutting board, spread one side with the chickpea mixture, top with a few leaves of lettuce, and another slice of bread to make a sandwich.
- Any leftover smashed chickpea salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 487 calories
- Fat: 18 grams
- Carbohydrates: 63 grams
- Fiber: 15 grams
- Protein: 22 grams
Keywords: smashed chickpea salad
Leave a Review