Made with pantry staples and fresh veggies, this easy Mediterranean chickpea salad is full of color and flavor. It’s quick to make and works well as a main course, side dish, or meal prep idea.
I’m a big fan of chickpea salad, especially in the summer months, as they are hearty, filling, and easy to prepare. In less than 10 minutes you can create a bright and colorful salad that can be enjoyed for lunch, dinner, or a weekend BBQ, with leftovers that store well in the fridge for days to come.
While you can certainly soak and cook raw chickpeas for chickpea salad, using canned chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, is a great way to cut down on time without forgoing nutrition or flavor. Canned chickpeas are one of those pantry-staple healthy processed foods that I always have on hand, which makes whipping together this Mediterranean chickpea salad with feta cheese an absolute breeze.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Ingredients
- Chickpeas: Using canned chickpeas keeps this recipe quick, easy, and simple, and filling the salad with plant-based protein and fiber. Be sure to rinse and drain them thoroughly before adding them to the salad.
- Cherry Tomatoes: You can also use grape tomatoes or diced whole tomatoes.
- Cucumber: Peeled or unpeeled is fine.
- Red Onion: For a bit of color and crunch.
- Bell Pepper: You can use yellow, orange, or red bell pepper or a mixture of colors.
- Kalamata Olives: To add some Mediterranean flare, feel free to omit them if you’re not a fan.
- Fresh Parsley: To add some greens and freshness. Additional fresh herbs, such as fresh mint, fresh dill, or fresh basil, would also work well.
- Feta Cheese: To add some saltiness, creaminess, and a bit more protein.
- Olive Oil: To dress the salad. Extra virgin olive oil will provide the best flavor, but any form of olive oil will work.
- Lemon Juice: Be sure to use fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have any, red wine vinegar will also work.
- Salt and Pepper: To season the salad.
To Make it Gluten-Free: No adaptations are needed, this recipe is gluten-free.
To Make it Dairy-Free: Omit the feta cheese.
How to Make Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Here’s how you’ll make this delish Mediterranean chickpea salad:
- Prepare the chickpeas. Drain, rinse, and dry the canned chickpeas.
- Prepare the vegetables. Chop the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, parsley, and olives.
- Make the dressing. Mix and whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together.
- Combine the salad ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, vegetables, olives, parsley, and crumbled feta cheese.
- Cover with dressing. Cover the salad with dressing and toss to combine.
- Season to taste. Taste the salad and adjust the salt and pepper as desired.
The detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
Switch up the vegetables. You can easily swap the vegetables in this salad for whatever you have on hand. Want different veggies? Try carrots, celery, or zucchini. Want more greens? Add chopped spinach or arugula. Want more flavor or texture? Add sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, or avocado.
Switch up the dressing. This recipe calls for a simple mixture of olive oil and lemon juice, but you can amp up the flavors by adding some minced garlic and dried oregano, or use a pre-made Greek dressing instead.
Add more protein. You can add additional protein to this salad by including some chopped grilled chicken or canned tuna.
Make it ahead. If you want to prepare this salad ahead of time for a party or gathering, prepare the dressing, chickpeas, and vegetables, store them in separate airtight containers for up to 3 days, and dress the salad when you are ready to serve. It can also be prepared entirely as a meal prep idea and stored in the fridge, completely dressed, for up to 4 days.
Red’s Nutrition Tip
This chickpea salad is a great meal prep idea. Whip it up on the weekend and enjoy it with grilled chicken, fish, meat, or tofu for a hearty and high-protein lunch.
What to Serve with Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This chickpea salad is a well-balanced dish complete with protein, complex carbohydrates, fiber, and healthy fats, and can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish. It would pair particularly well with:
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Baked Pesto Salmon
- Greek Chicken Burgers
- Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers
- Greek Chicken Kebabs
- Pork Souvlaki
- Grilled Steak
- Grilled Fish
- Boiled Eggs
Chickpeas are a good source of complex carbohydrates, fiber, and protein. Including chickpeas in a salad, along with vegetables and a healthy dressing, creates a nutrient-dense and fiber-rich meal that can be enjoyed as a main course or a side dish.
Chickpea salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Canned chickpeas should be drained and rinsed before adding them to a salad. This helps to remove the excess liquid, salt, and starch to ensure your salad has the best flavor and texture.
The dressed salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste before serving.
More Healthy Salad Recipes:Print
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This quick and easy Mediterranean chickpea salad is packed full of veggies and is a healthy and high-fiber meal. Plus, it keeps well in the fridge so it’s perfect for meal prep.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 2 cans (15-ounce) chickpeas, strained and rinsed
- ½ cucumber, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, red, yellow, or orange, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved (optional)
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- In a small mason jar or bowl, add olive oil, lemon, juice, salt, and black pepper and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, black olives, parsley, and feta cheese, and toss to combine.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss until everything is well coated. Taste and adjust oil, lemon, salt, and pepper as needed.
- The salad can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 422 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 28 grams
- Carbohydrates: 33 grams
- Fiber: 10 grams
- Protein: 13 grams
Keywords: chickpea mediterranean salad