Made with fresh lemon, garlic, oregano, thyme, and boneless chicken thighs, this lemon garlic chicken thighs recipe is bursting with flavor. Not only is the chicken moist and juicy but it’s quick and easy to cook making it perfect for a healthy weeknight meal.
Ingredients for Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
Chicken Thighs: The star of this lemon garlic show. While the recipe calls for boneless and skinless chicken thighs, you are welcome to use bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs if you prefer, however, you’ll need to adjust the cooking time as they will take longer to cook.
Lemon: A combination of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest provides the perfect lemony taste. I don’t recommend using lemon concentrate as it simply won’t provide the same balance of flavor.
Garlic: A generous amount of pungent garlic helps to balance the acidic and citrusy lemon taste. Although you can use garlic powder, fresh garlic will provide the best results.
Chicken Broth: A little chicken broth helps to create the lemon garlic sauce. You can use chicken stock if needed, and feel free to add a splash of white wine if you want to take the flavors to the next level!
Thyme and Oregano: The addition of fresh thyme and oregano adds some fragrance to the sauce.
Salt and Black Pepper: A dash of the essentials to help balance out the seasoning and a sprinkle of fresh parsley to serve.
How to Cook Juicy Chicken Thighs
These lemon garlic chicken thighs are juicy and bursting with flavor thanks to a two-part cooking process and a simple sauce.
- Start by searing the chicken. By searing the chicken in a cast-iron skillet, or a heavy bottom pan, you can lock in the juices of the chicken thighs to help ensure they are tender and juicy.
- Prepare the sauce. The combination of lemon juice, garlic, herbs, and chicken broth creates a simple sauce that not only adds loads of flavor but helps to add moisture to the chicken thighs at the same time.
- Roast the chicken in the sauce. By finishing the chicken thighs in the oven with the lemon garlic sauce you can ensure they are cooked to perfection and capture all of the chicken juices for additional moisture and flavor.
I made this recipe with boneless chicken thighs, but you could certainly make it with bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks or thighs, or even chicken breasts if you prefer.
If using bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs, increase the cooking time in the pan to roughly 8-10 minutes per side, and then transfer to the oven to roast for 15-20 minutes or until the juices run clear.
If using chicken drumsticks or chicken thighs, increase the cooking time in the pan to roughly 8-10 minutes per side, and then transfer the drumsticks to the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or the bone-in chicken thighs for 20-25 minutes.
If you use chicken breasts, cook them in the pan for 5-6 minutes per side until golden but not completely cooked through before transferring them to bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
What to Serve with Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs are a great source of protein, therefore, serving them with a source of carbohydrates and fiber will help to create a well-balanced meal. I think these lemon garlic chicken thighs would taste great along with the following combinations of complex carbohydrates and vegetables:
- Pasta + Spinach
- Potatoes + Asparagus
- Rice + Green Beans
If you’d prefer to keep the dish low carb, skip the addition of pasta, potatoes, or rice, and simply pair the chicken with a side of vegetables or a salad.
More Chicken Thigh Recipes:
Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
Bursting with lemon flavor, these lemon garlic chicken thighs are perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 chicken thighs 1x
- Category: Mains
- Method: Grilled and Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Black pepper
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken thighs on a cutting board and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a large cast-iron skillet or ovenproof pan on medium-high heat, drizzle and warm the olive oil.
- Working in batches, add the chicken thighs to the pan in a single layer and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden but not completely cooked through. Once cooked, remove the pan, and set it aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, in the same pan, reduce the heat to medium, then add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute or until tender. Add oregano and thyme and cook for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Increase the heat slightly, add the chicken broth, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula, and allow to bubble for about 1 minute.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest to the pan, stir to combine with the broth, and then allow the mixture to cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently, until slightly reduced.
- Once the sauce is ready, return the chicken thighs to the pan one at a time, coating both sides of the thighs in the sauce before moving on to the next one, until all the chicken thighs have been returned to the pan.
- Once complete, transfer the pan to the oven for 10 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken thighs from the oven and garnish with additional lemon wedges and parsley to serve.
- Any leftover chicken thighs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh
- Calories: 149 calories
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 1 gram
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Protein: 17 grams
Keywords: garlic lemon chicken thighs, baked lemon garlic chicken thighs, oven roasted lemon garlic chicken thighs