Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
Tender, juicy and zesty, this grilled cilantro lime chicken is packed full of flavour thanks to a quick and easy cilantro lime marinade!
Chicken thighs are one of my favourite things to cook on the grill. They are inexpensive, tasty and incredibly easy to cook. Although I enjoy both bone-in and boneless chicken thighs, skinless and boneless chicken thighs are just so quick and easy to cook and are packed full of flavour. They have just enough dark meat to stay tender, but not enough to put anyone off, especially when they are covered in a flavourful marinade, and I think this cilantro lime chicken is the perfect way to do it.
How To Make Cilantro Lime Chicken
Making cilantro lime grilled chicken thighs is actually quite easy. All you need is a cilantro lime marinade, a bit of time and a hot grill.
- Chop the ingredients for the cilantro lime marinade and whisk them together,
- Pour the marinade over the chicken thighs,
- Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes,
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat,
- Grill the chicken thighs until tender,
- And that’s it!
Although this recipe is cooked on the grill, the chicken could also be cooked in a grill pan, baked in the oven, cooked in a slower cooker or an instant pot if needed.
How to Serve Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
This cilantro lime grilled chicken can certainly be served on its own but it’s extra tasty paired with a side of white rice, grilled sweet potato wedges, Mexican street corn salad or a scoop of apple cider vinegar coleslaw. Plus, any leftover chicken works really well in tacos, salads, sandwiches or soups.
Chicken Thighs or Chicken Breast?
Although this recipe calls for chicken thighs, chicken breasts will work equally well. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly since chicken breasts are typically thicker in nature and will therefore take longer on the grill.
If you ask me, this cilantro lime grilled chicken recipe is the perfect summer meal! Ready in under 30 minutes, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, it’s a quick, easy and healthy dinner idea that the whole family is sure to love.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes:
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
This cilantro lime grilled chicken recipe is made with chicken thighs, however, chicken breasts would work equally well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilled
- 1 lb chicken thighs, skinless, boneless
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small food processor or a blender, combine the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, honey, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper and blend until well combined.
- Place chicken in a large bowl, pour cilantro lime marinade over all of the chicken and then, using your hands or tongs, toss until the chicken is well coated. Transfer the chicken to the fridge and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours. (If time does not permit, you can grill the chicken right away, you just won’t get the same depth of flavour.)
- Once the chicken is ready, pre-heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through or a thermometer reads 165°.
- Once cooked, remove chicken thighs from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving, this helps to preserve the juices.
- To serve, garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Want to use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs? Follow the same instructions and simply increase to cooking time by 1 or 2 minutes per side until the chicken is tender or a thermometer reads 165°.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 285 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Carbohydrates: 8 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Protein: 23 grams
Keywords: chicken thighs, olive oil, honey, marinade, easy, healthy
Did you make this recipe? Rate it below!