Triple Berry Crisp
A light and healthy triple berry crisp!
Made with fresh berries, rolled oats and naturally sweetened with honey, this triple berry crisp is a healthy dessert that is perfect for summertime. Not to mention, it’s quick and easy to make and is equally delicious served on its own or topped with a dollop of yogurt, whipped cream or ice cream.
How to Make a Healthy Berry Crisp
Making a healthy berry crisp is actually quite simple and once you’ve got the basics down the flavour combinations are endless. Here are some simple tips to consider when making a berry crisp.
- Berries: Fresh or frozen berries can be used to make a berry crisp, any combination of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries works well.
- Oats: The key to a good crisp is using the right oats. Rolled oats or old fashion rolled oats work best, however, quick-cooking oats would also work if needed.
- Honey: Using a natural sweetener is a simple way to make any berry crisp a little healthier. I opted to use honey but maple syrup or brown sugar would also work well.
- Starch: Because fruit naturally contains water, including a bit of starch in your berry crisp filling can help to ensure that it does not become too runny or liquidy. I used cornstarch in my recipe, however, a bit of all-purpose flour or arrowroot powder (gluten-free) would also work well.
- Butter: The key to a good berry crisp, and its golden colour, is a little bit of butter. This natural healthy fat has a neutral taste and pairs well with the berries. If you can’t consume butter, coconut oil would work equally well.
- Nuts: For a bit of extra crunch and flavour you can add some chopped nut or nut meal to the crisp. I chose to use almonds, however, pecan or walnuts would also pair well in any berry crisp.
If you ask me, this triple berry crisp is a crowd-pleasing recipe and a wonderful way to celebrate all of the fresh flavours of summer! Whip up this healthy triple berry crisp today and you’ll have a delicious dessert, snack (or breakfast!) for days to come.
Looking for more healthy crisp recipes? Try my strawberry rhubarb crisp for another classic combination!Print
This triple berry crisp is made with mixed berries, rolled oats and naturally sweetened with honey and is filled with all of the flavours of summer. This recipe calls for strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, but you can use any combination you like.
Triple Berry Filling:
- 4 cups mixed berries, fresh or frozen (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a 9′ by 9′ baking dish, combine the berries, vanilla extract, honey, cornstarch and sea salt. Toss together to ensure everything is well combined. (If using frozen berries, they can be added frozen, however, add an extra tablespoon of cornstarch to help absorb any additional liquid.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, almonds (optional), cinnamon and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Slowly drizzle in the honey and melted butter into the oat mixture, stirring to combine.
- Cover the berry mixture with the oat mixture, ensuring that it is evenly spread over the top.
- Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the fruit begins to bubble and the top is golden brown.
- Once the berry crisp is baked, allow to cool slightly before serving (about 5 minutes) and serve on its own or topped with a dollop of yogurt, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 334 calories
- Sugar: 33 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrates: 56 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
Keywords: oatmeal, frozen berry, mixed berry, healthy, easy