Not only are these crispy zucchini fritters incredibly easy to make, but they are packed full of veggies, fibre and are a great option that you can use for breakfast, lunch and dinner alike!
Zucchini is one of those vegetables that is essentially flavourless on its own, but when paired with the right ingredients or used in the right dish, it can take on a whole world of flavour. For this reason, zucchini is being used as a low-carb alternative to noodles, lasagna, fries, and pretty much anything else you can think of, but why not just let it shine on its own? Not only is it a versatile ingredient, but it is incredibly inexpensive and a bit of humble zucchini can go a really long way when it comes to making a healthy meal.
Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, these little zucchini fritters are great topped with a fried egg, on top of your favourite salad, or simply eaten on their own as a simple side dish.
These crispy zucchini fritters are quick and easy to preapre, and an incredibly versatile dish that can be used for breakfast, lunch and dinner alike.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 4 cups grated zucchini, about 2 large
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup flour (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- Yogurt or sour cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Using a box grater, grate the zucchini on the diagonal in order to create long strands.
- In a bowl, combine the grated zucchini and 1 teaspoon salt, stir to combine, and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the zucchini to sweat and release excess water.
- Once complete, add the grated zucchini to a tea towel or cheesecloth and squeeze as much of the excess liquid out of the zucchini as possible. Use your muscles, the more water you can squeeze out the better texture your fritters will be!
- Add the strained zucchini to a bowl, add green onions, garlic, parmesan, flour, baking powder, pepper and egg, and stir to combine. (If you find the mixture very wet, add an extra sprinkle of flour until it starts to bind.)
- Heat olive oil or ghee in a skillet on medium-high heat, scoop 1/4 cup portion of the zucchini mixture into the pan, and gently press down so they are about 1/2″ thick.
- Fry each fritter for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown, and then add it to a baking sheet and transfer to the oven to keep warm until all of the batter is complete.
- The zucchini fritters can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 84 calories
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 4 grams
Keywords: crispy, low carb, healthy