Marinated in honey, lime juice, soy sauce, and garlic, these honey lime chicken skewers have a tangy, sweet, and salty taste, and are so easy to make. They are perfect for a weeknight dinner or weekend get-together, plus you can use any leftover chicken for tomorrow’s lunch! They are a great alternative to your everyday grilled chicken.
What You’ll Need for Honey Lime Chicken Skewers
The best part about this chicken skewer recipe is that it’s incredibly easy to make. By combining a few pantry staples, you can easily create a delicious marinade complete with zesty, sweet, and salty flavors. You’ll need:
- Chicken Breasts or Thighs: Feel free to use either cut of chicken or a combination of both.
- Limes: The use of fresh lime juice and zest helps to give the skewers an extra citrusy flavor.
- Honey: A touch of sweetness to balance out the citrus. Use any honey that you enjoy.
- Soy Sauce: A touch of salt to balance out the sweetness.
- Olive Oil: To keep the chicken from sticking to the grill and add some healthy fats.
- Garlic: Because no recipe is complete without garlic. Feel free to add more if you like.
I used boneless skinless chicken thighs for my skewers, however, boneless chicken breasts or a combination of boneless and skinless cuts of chicken would all grill well on these skewers.
Also, if you want to add some spice, feel free to add a bit of sriracha sauce to kick the heat up a notch.
How to Make Chicken Skewers
If you can measure, stir, and pour, you can easily make this honey lime marinade. Here’s what you need to do:
- In a small bow, add the marinade ingredient and whisk to combine.
- Add the cubed chicken to a large bowl and cover it with the marinade.
- Transfer the chicken to the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight. The longer you leave it the more flavor it will soak up.
- When you’re ready to grill, thread the marinated chicken pieces onto bamboo, wooden, or metal skewers.
- Add the skewers to the grill and cook until tender and juicy!
Once cooked the skewers can be served immediately or cooled and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
How long should I grill chicken skewers?
Chicken skewers should be cooked on a grill on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes per side until the chicken is cooked through or a thermometer reads 165°F.
Can you bake chicken skewers?
You can bake chicken skewers, however, you won’t get the same flavor or texture as you would when you grill them. In this recipe, the grill helps to caramelize the sugars in the honey and soy sauce to give them a crunchy exterior and tender interior. If you want to bake the chicken skewers, simply preheat the oven to 425°F and bake them for 12-15 minutes.
What goes with chicken skewers?
Chicken skewers are a great source of protein and contain some healthy fats so pairing them with a source of complex carbohydrates and vegetables can help to create a well-balanced meal. You can serve chicken skewers with:
- Fluffy Rice
- Rice Pilaf
- Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes
- Corn on the Cob
- Green beans
- Green Salad
- Tomato Salad
In addition to serving these chicken skewers with a side of vegetables, you can also thread vegetables directly on the skewers with the chicken, alternating between the two; I think bell peppers, green and yellow zucchini, and onions would all work particularly well. Not to mention, the chicken works incredibly well on top of any salad or in tacos!
More Chicken Skewer Recipes:Print
Honey Lime Chicken Skewers
These zesty, sweet, and salty chicken skewers are packed full of flavor while still being easy to make! Make them for dinner and use leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 skewers 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Black pepper
- Skewers, bamboo, wooden or metal
- Green onion, chopped, to serve
- Cilantro, minced, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- In a large bowl or container, add the lime juice and zest, honey, soy sauce, olive oil and garlic and whisk to combine. Add the cubed chicken to the bowl, toss to coat it in the marinade, and cover, refrigerate, and marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Once the chicken has marinated, thread it onto skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 10 minutes before adding the chicken to ensure they do not burn.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat, add the chicken skewers to the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes per side, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through, or a thermometer reads 165°F.
- Once cooked, remove the skewers from the grill and serve as is or with an extra drizzle of honey, season with salt and black pepper, and garnish and garnish with green onion, cilantro, and lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 205 calories
- Sugar: 9 grams
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Protein: 26 grams