Kale and Eggs Breakfast Skillet
Ready in under 10 minutes, this kale and eggs breakfast skillet is a great way to add protein and greens to your diet before you start the day!
My weekday breakfasts need to be two things; quick and tasty. My 20-year self would think that quick and tasty meant a bagel and cream cheese from Tim Hortons, but 33-year-old me knows that there is a much better way. Like most people, I used to hate waking up in the morning. I would constantly hit the snooze button (multiple times) before getting out of bed with only enough time to shower, get ready, get out the door, and rush to a coffee shop to grab something to eat before heading to work. In hindsight, it was the worst way to start my day. Not only was my entire morning rushed and unpleasant, but by 10 am I would be starving again because that bagel and cream cheese or muffin I grabbed did not do my hunger justice. Fortunately, making a healthy breakfast doesn’t need to be complicated, and, now that I know better, a little kale and eggs can get me out the door in a hurry.
I don’t know why, but for some reason, in North America, we have associated eggs, and really any breakfast that takes over 5 minutes to prepare, a weekend breakfast. Only items that you can pour into a bowl, add to the toaster, or eat on the go are considered reasonable weekday options. I don’t know what the exact trigger or exact moment was, but one day it dawned on me how odd that actually was. I mean, if eating eggs or a full bowl of oatmeal for breakfast makes me feel better and gives me more energy for my day, why on earth am I eating a bagel and cream cheese as I rush to work? Serious food for thought.
This sautéed kale and eggs breakfast skillet is truly such a quick and easy way to make a nourishing sit-down breakfast in under 10 minutes. You can really add any type of veggies you like to the pan, but on those weekday mornings when you can’t be bothered to chop extra things, just add the kale and you’ll have an incredibly healthy and hearty breakfast to fuel your day.
Kale and Eggs Breakfast Skillet
This kale and egg breakfast skillet will work with essentially any dark leafy green. If you are not a fan of kale, spinach, swiss chard or collards would work really well too.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- 2–3 kale leaves
- 2–3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed chillies (optional)
- Goat Cheese
- Remove stems from kale leaves and roughly chop kale into bite size pieces. Add chopped kale to a colander and rinse gently under cold water to clean any excess dirt off the leaves. Shake off any excess water; you can leave the kale a little wet as this will help to cook it in the pan.
- In a skillet on medium, heat butter or olive oil. Add in the chopped kale and season with sea salt and pepper. (If you want to add crushed chillies, add them to the pan at this point.)
- Allow the kale to cook for 2-3 minutes until it begins to wilt and becomes bright green in colour, gently tossing the kale every minute to ensure all leaves are coated in oil and wilted. (I find adding a cover to the pan helps to speed cooking time as it will steam a little as well.)
- Using a spoon or spatula, make a pocket for each egg in the kale, and crack one egg into each pocket.
- Cover the pan and allow the eggs to cook until opaque; about 4-5 minutes.
- Once eggs are cooked, remove from the heat and top kale and eggs with crumbled goat cheese and pesto to taste (optional).
- Serve on its own or with a slice of sourdough toast.
- Serving Size: 1 skillet
- Calories: 206 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 5 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 15 grams