Almond Banana Pancakes
Made with 5 ingredients, these almond banana pancakes are a delicious grain-free and gluten-free pancake recipe that everyone can enjoy. Plus, they keep well in the fridge and freezer so they make a great healthy meal prep idea too!
You know those moments when you really want a treat; be it a cookie, a muffin or pancakes, but you can’t be bothered to make a full batch because you only want one serving? Ya, this recipe is for exactly those moments. These single-serve almond banana pancakes are a super quick and delicious way to start your day.
Cooking for one can be a real pain in the butt. You’re either forced to do a calculus class in your kitchen trying to figure out how to break a recipe down into a single serving, or you’ve made enough food to feed a small army and then some. It’s a bit ridiculous, to say the least. When I lived alone most of my meals were pretty basic; eggs + toast, salad + tuna, chicken + vegetables. Not only was a terrible cook at the time (true story), but the idea of making a full recipe was really overwhelming and expensive, especially when it came to baking. Sure, I’d like an oatmeal cookie but I don’t want to make 24 oatmeal cookies because then I’m going to eat 24 oatmeal cookies and regret the fact that I ever wanted one oatmeal cookie to begin with. Oy!
So, these almond banana pancakes are for those Saturday mornings when you just need to whip something up for one. With only 5 ingredients they are really easy to prepare, and if you have company, you can simply double or triple the recipe with no issues.
I know there are a lot of “protein pancake” recipes out there that call for 1 egg, 1 banana, and protein powder, but I wanted to create a version with all-natural ingredients. If you have never used almond flour before, it is essentially just ground-up almonds and is sometimes called ‘almond meal’ on packaging in stores. The combination of eggs and almond meal in this recipe actually provides 18 grams of protein per serving, and the inclusion of the banana provides a great source of natural carbohydrates making them a great post-workout treat (just go easy on the syrup.)
More Healthy Pancake Recipes:Print
Made with ripe banana, almond flour and eggs, these almond banana pancakes are a healthy and delicious gluten-free pancake recipe.
- 1 banana, ripe
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raspberries, frozen or fresh (optional)
- Maple syrup, to serve (optional)
- Peel and slice the banana into pieces and add to a bowl. Using a fork, mash the banana into a puree trying to eliminate as many chunks as possible.
- Once the banana is well mashed, crack the egg into the bowl, add vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Add in the almond flour and baking powder to the bowl and whisk until batter forms.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add half of the butter or coconut oil and heat until melted. Once melted, add a 1/4 cup of the batter mixture to the centre of the pan. (The batter should make 3 small pancakes.)
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side until the edges crisp up and bubbles begin to form. Be careful to not increase the heat too high as the batter will burn. Flip and cook on the other side for another 2 to 3 minutes until golden and fluffy.
- To create a quick raspberry coulis, add the frozen berries to a saucepan on low heat. As the berries heat mash them up with a fork or spoon to create a quick sauce. (You can also do this in the microwave for 30 seconds if needed.)
- To serve, top pancakes with raspberry coulis and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 175 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 12 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
Keywords: almond flour, egg, keto, paleo, gluten-free, healthy