Rainbow Chicken Stir-Fry
This quick and easy rainbow chicken stir-fry is ready in less than 10 minutes and loaded with vegetables of all colours, making it a great weeknight meal.
When I am in a pinch, it is stir-fry to the rescue. Why? Because you don’t need much in terms of cooking equipment and they are really speedy to prepare. Honestly, the longest part of making a stir-fry is chopping the vegetables, but nowadays you can easily buy pre-chopped veggies in any grocery store or even frozen vegetable blends. When it comes to making stir-fries tasty, it really comes down to the flavours you add. You can certainly find lots of pre-made stir-fry sauces at any grocery store but most of them are loaded with added sugars and sodium, and it is just so easy to make your own!
I used a blend of vegetables that I like in this stir-fry, but if you aren’t a fan of cabbage or mushrooms swap them out for a vegetable you prefer like bok choy, broccoli and/or snow peas. I think chicken is a great protein to use because it cooks so quickly but shrimp or thinly sliced beef would be delicious too! To keep the recipe gluten-free I used tamari, but you could also use coconut aminos to keep it completely paleo, or soy sauce works just as well.
Not only does this rainbow chicken stir-fry make a great weeknight dinner, but it stores really well in the fridge for delicious leftovers. For the best results, you want to use the best chicken, and I order all of my free-range chicken directly from truLOCAL.
I like to think of this chicken stir-fry recipe as a ‘”kitchen sink” stir-fry because you can pretty much use any vegetables you have on hand, and can easily swap the chicken for red meat or seafood.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups buttons mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups spinach, tightly packed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated or minced
- In a small bowl, combine the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, add the olive oil and sliced chicken. Cook for 1-2 minutes just until the chicken is seared on both sides.
- Add the sliced vegetables to the pan, pour in the sauce and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until tender but still crisp and the chicken in cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 399 calories
- Sugar: 22 grams
- Fat: 12 grams
- Carbohydrates: 42 grams
- Fiber: 13 grams
- Protein: 36 grams