Buttermilk cornmeal pancakes with strawberry compote!
These cornmeal pancakes are the perfect combination of savoury cornbread and fluffy buttermilk pancakes. Although they can certainly be eaten on their own or with a drizzle of syrup, the addition of fresh, seasonal strawberry compote takes them to the next level to create a sweet weekend breakfast treat.
These cornmeal pancakes are made with buttermilk to help make them light and fluffy. Although the term buttermilk may sound like a rather rich choice, buttermilk is actually the thin, low-fat but rich-tasting liquid leftover after churning butter. In fact, buttermilk is a natural probiotic-rich food, which helps to provide a boost of beneficial bacteria to these healthy cornmeal pancakes.
More Healthy Pancakes Recipes:Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 panckes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal, fine-ground
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for cooking
- 3 cups strawberries, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Place the diced strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the strawberries release their liquid to create a syrup-like texture, about 12-15 minutes. While the strawberry compote is cooking, make the pancakes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter, and whisk until well combined.
- Transfer the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, and stir gently until well mixed.
- Heat a griddle or pan to medium heat, add a knob of butter, and allow to melt. Working in batches, add a 1/4 cup of the batter to the grilled or pan and cook until golden brown, roughly 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 1 minute.
- Continue this process until all of the batter is done. You can store the cooked pancakes in the oven at 200°F to keep them warm.
- Once complete, serve the pancakes with strawberry compote and/or maple syrup or honey.
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 141 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 4 grams
Keywords: buttermilk, fluffy, healthy