Sweet Potato Toast
Sweet potato toast has been sweeping the internet and, at first, I thought it was a weird internet hack, but after a little experimentation it turns out it actually works! Not only is it rather easy to make, but it’s quite tasty too, and can be swapped for regular toast for a sweet or savory satisfying snack.
I absolutely love sweet potatoes. Since I don’t eat a ton of grains, they are a staple food in my diet providing a great source of complex carbohydrates to help me fuel and recover from all of my workouts. I typically roast them into wedges or fries, bake them whole or add them to soups or stews, but this toast idea is a great addition to my repertoire! Not only are sweet potatoes rich in vitamins A and C, but they are lower glycemic than standard bread making them a great alternative for those limiting carbohydrates or trying to lose weight.
How to Make Sweet Potato Toast
Making sweet potato toast is easy, here’s what you need to do:
- Slice the potatoes. Sliced potatoes lengthwise into 1/4″ slices.
- Toast the potatoes. Add sliced potatoes to a toaster, toaster oven, or baking sheet in the oven at 400°F and cook until tender on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside.
- Layer with toppings. Once toasted, add your favorite toppings to the toast and enjoy!
Toppings for Sweet Potato Toast
You can certainly eat it on its own or paired with your morning eggs, however, there are a variety of different spreads you can use to give it a little twist.
- Cheese + Fried Egg
- Mashed avocado + Hemp Seeds
- Peanut butter + Banana
- Hummus + Salsa
- Cream cheese + Strawberries
- Ricotta + Peaches
- Greek Yogurt + Blueberries
- Pesto + Sliced Cucumber
- Brie + Honey
These are some of my favorite toppings but feel free to experiment and share your ideas in the comments below!
Sweet Potato Toast
The topping options for sweet potato toast are endless; anything from savoury to sweet works incredibly well for a filling breakfast or snack!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 slices 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snacks
- Method: Toasted
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 large sweet potato
- Almond Butter and Banana
- Goat Cheese and Strawberries
- Hummus and Fresh Salsa
- Avocado, Sea Salt and Hemp Seeds
- Sautéed Spinach & Poached Egg
- Wash, scrub and dry sweet potatoes.
- Cut sweet potatoes in 1/4 thick slices.
- Place in toaster on medium heat. (I found toasting mine twice helped it cook better.)
- Top sweet potato toasts with any toppings you like.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 28 calories
- Fat: 1 gram
- Carbohydrates: 7 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 1 gram
Leave a Review