White Bean Turkey Chili
A healthy white bean turkey chili recipe!
Chili is one of my go-to meals when the cold weather hits. Not only is it a healthy and hearty dish, but it’s easy to make and there are so many different ways to make chili, giving you endless options to chose from. This white bean turkey chili version is made with ground turkey, white kidney beans and green tomatoes for a high-protein, fresh and flavour-packed meal.
Turkey and White Bean Chili
Ground turkey is often used in chili recipes as a low-fat alternative to ground beef and, although there is certainly nothing wrong with that, I personally think turkey has its own flavour and, therefore, deserves to be the star of its own chili show. This white bean turkey chili recipe is a bit of a blend of a classic green chicken chili recipe and vegetarian white chili recipe. Green chili variations are built on a green chili sauce, while white chili usually goes light on the chili peppers and contains some form of white bean, so this white bean turkey chili really fits somewhere in between the two.
For this recipe, I opted to use ground turkey (although chicken would also work well), a mixture of white kidney beans and pinto beans, a can of crushed tomatillos (or green tomatoes), and a light mixture of spices. Depending on your grocery store, canned tomatillos can be hard to find, but a jar of tomatillo salsa (or green salsa) would arguably work just as well.
More Healthy Chili Recipes:
White Bean Turkey Chili
Made with ground turkey, tomatillos and white beans, this white bean turkey chili is a hearty, healthy, high-protein and high-fibre meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 oz can tomatillos, crushed*
- 15 oz can white kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- 15 oz can white pinto beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
To Serve (Optional):
- Sour Cream
- Avocado, diced
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Green onion, sliced
- Lime, cut into wedges
- In a large pot on medium-high, warm the olive oil.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeño to the pot and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, chilli powder and a pinch of salt and cook for another 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until no longer pink, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatillos, broth and bay leaf, reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the beans, stir to combine and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat, add cilantro, season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine.
- To serve, spoon into bowls and top with sour cream, avocado, and cilantro as desired.
Tomatillos: If you can’t find crushed tomatillos, tomatillo salsa would work equally well.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 247 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Protein: 21 grams
Keywords: ground turkey, easy, healthy