Chili Con Carne
This classic chili con carne is a healthy and heart-warming meal!
This chili con carne recipe is a classic dish that makes a big ol’ pot of food, perfect for a Sunday dinner or simple meal prep idea that will last the entire week to come.
What is Chili Con Carne?
The term ‘chili’ is short for chili con carne which is a Spanish translation from “chillies with meat”. Technically, the word chili refers to the actual pepper, while chili con carne is a spicy beef stew made with the pepper.
Although there are lots of different variations of chili, as everyone has their own take or twist, I wanted to share a really simple but delicious recipe that is fool-proof to prepare.
Healthy Chili Con Carne
Although many people don’t think of chili as a particularly healthy dish, I would argue that it most certainly is. Made with 100% real food, chili is a filling, hearty and heart-warming meal that just happens to incredibly good for you too. In fact, chili has a welcome place in my diet any day of the week.
For the best results, you’ll want to use the best quality meat. I source all of my meat from local farms with truLOCAL and you can too! Check them out to see what’s available in your area.
Chili Con Carne
This chili con carne recipe can also be made in the slow cooker if needed, however, be sure to brown the beef before in order to get the best results and flavour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Chili
- Method: Stovetop
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional, for extra heat)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 14oz can kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 cup beef stock/broth
- 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot on medium-high, heat the butter or olive oil.
- Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeño to the pot and cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne (optional), sea salt and minced garlic, and cook for another 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until no longer pink, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and balsamic vinegar and mix to coat the beef. Add kidney beans and ½ cup broth, stir to combine, reduce heat and cover with lid to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and remaining ½ cup broth, and continue to cook on a simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season to taste as needed.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 319 calories
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Fat: 12 grams
- Carbohydrates: 23 grams
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Protein: 31 grams
Keywords: sauce, with beans, healthy