Wild Rice & Vegetable Soup
Packed full of vegetables and fibre, this wild rice and vegetable soup is a hearty one-pot meal that is perfect for a rainy day or cold winter night!
Everyone knows that it’s important to eat vegetables but, as the seasons change and the weather cools down, salads and raw vegetables tend to become less and less appealing. Fortunately, that’s where soup comes to the rescue! Essentially the warm version of a salad, soup (especially vegetable soup) is packed full of all of the goodness of a salad, it’s just heated up. Not only is vegetable soup rich in fibre, dense in nutrients, and a heart-warming way get your veggies, but it makes a ton of servings in one batch and can, therefore, save you a ton of time in the kitchen.
This wild rice and vegetable soup calls for wild rice, because I think it gives the best texture and provides some plant-based protein, however, you could use long-brain white or brown rice if you prefer, just be sure to adjust the cooking time. Once cooked, this soup stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for 3 months, making it a great meal prep idea the whole family is sure to love.
Wild Rice & Vegetable Soup
Packed full of colour, fibre and fresh vegetables, this wild rice and vegetable soup is a hearty one-pot meal that is vegetarian and gluten-free. This recipe calls for wild rice, but any long-grain rice would work equally well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soups & Stews
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 4 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup wild rice, dry
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme or Italian seasoning, dried
- 1 pinch crushed chili flakes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Parmesan, grated, to serve
- In a large pot on medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, and chili flakes (optional) and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Pour in broth, water and tomatoes, add rice and bay leaf, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 40-45 minutes until rice is tender.
- Once the rice is tender, add spinach, stir to combine, and cook for another 4-5 minutes until wilted.
- Once complete, give the soup a good stir to ensure that everything is well combined, remove the bay leaf and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. (You may need to add a bit more broth/water for desired consistency.)
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan.
- The soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 206 calories
- Sugar: 8 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 36 grams
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Keywords: homemade, easy, best, healthy