Made with rolled oats, cinnamon, and fresh apples (yes, fresh), this homemade apple cinnamon granola is a healthy recipe that can be enjoyed any day of the week. You can enjoy it with yogurt or milk for breakfast or on its own as a crunchy snack.
Granola is such a fun dish to make at home because it’s simple to make and incredibly versatile. A basic, but delicious, granola recipe only requires a handful of ingredients; rolled oats, a sweetener, some oil, and nuts or dried fruit. Once you master the basic granola formula you can easily mix things up and create any flavor of granola you like, like this vanilla almond granola. Not to mention, homemade granola is a great way to use pantry staples and turn them into something quick and delicious that the whole family is sure to love.
Although granola is typically made with dried fruit, this apple cinnamon granola is made with fresh apples, which last well for weeks when stored in the fridge. By chopping the fresh apples into small bite-size pieces and baking them along with the rolled oats, the apples concentrate all of their sugars and provide an added crunch at the same time. Not only is it a fun and different way to use apples but it’s a great way to maximize fresh produce and minimize waste. Regardless of what type of apple you choose, the end result of this recipe is a crunchy, sweet, and healthy homemade apple cinnamon granola that you can enjoy for breakfast and snacks alike.
More Healthy Granola Recipes:
Apple Cinnamon Granola
This apple cinnamon granola is a healthy homemade granola that the whole family is sure to love! For the best results, be sure to use a crisp and crunchy apple so it holds up during the baking process.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 sweet and crunchy apples, diced
- 1/2 cup raw pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, cinnamon and salt and stir to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, combine melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon or spatula to ensure they are well combined.
- Add chopped apple to the bowl and stir to ensure it is well coated with the oat mixture. (Note, be sure that the apples are chopped into a small dice; this will ensure that they dry out slightly during the baking process. If you leave them too large they may leave too much moisture in the granola.)
- Turn the granola mixture onto a baking sheet, spreading it out evenly.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Once complete, remove the granola from the oven, stir or toss the granola on the baking sheet with a spoon or spatula, and then return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the granola from the oven again, add the chopped pecans to the baking sheet, and then return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes or until apples are dry and the granola is golden brown.
- Once complete, remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Once cooled, transfer the apple cinnamon granola to a jar or airtight container and store at room temperature for up 3-4 days.
- Serve cold with yogurt or milk and additional sliced apple on top.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 248 calories
- Sugar: 14 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 35 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
Keywords: fresh, crunchy, healthy, baked, homemade