Made with buckwheat groats, cardamom, almond butter, and dates, this warm and creamy buckwheat porridge is a hearty and healthy breakfast. Plus, the use of buckwheat and almond milk makes this recipe gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan for everyone to enjoy!
Although I used almond milk in this recipe, you can certainly use any plant-based or non-dairy milk that you like; oat milk and cashew milk would work particularly well. I opted to blend the buckwheat groats prior to cooking to create a rich and creamy texture, however, you can also cook them whole for a chunkier and heartier porridge if you like.
More Healthy Buckwheat Recipes:Print
Creamy Buckwheat Porridge
If you are a fan of oatmeal for breakfast, I highly suggest that you give this warm buckwheat porridge a try. Not only is it just as easy to prepare, but once blended it has a rich and creamy porridge-like texture.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Blender & Stovetop
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats, raw
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 Medjool dates, pitted
- In a bowl, cover buckwheat groats with water and soak overnight or for at least 2 hours. In the morning, or when soaked, strain water and rinse well.
- Place the strained buckwheat groats into a blender and blitz a few times to help break them down.
- Add milk, vanilla extract, ground cardamom, almond butter, pitted date, and a pinch of salt to the blender and process the mixture until a creamy and smooth consistency forms.
- Add the mixture to a saucepan on low-medium heat and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, to help the mixture warm and thicken. If you find the mixture too thick, add an additional splash of almond milk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Once heated, transfer the buckwheat to a bowl and serve as is or add toppings of your choice.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 472 calories
- Sugar: 17 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Carbohydrates: 84 grams
- Fiber: 12 grams
- Protein: 14 grams
Keywords: buckwheat groats, soaked, creamy