Grilled Halloumi Salad
This Middle Eastern-inspired grilled halloumi salad is the perfect dish for a simple and satisfying meal. Not only is it easy to make (ready in under 15 minutes!) but it’s packed full of flavor, fiber, protein, and healthy fats. Whether you’re looking for a light lunch or a simple side dish, this grilled halloumi salad is packed full of vibrant colors and delicious flavors.
A quick and easy grilled halloumi salad recipe!
What is Halloumi Cheese?
Halloumi is a cheese that originates from the Eastern Mediterranean island of Cyprus. Halloumi is a layered, semi-hard, unripened, brined cheese with a rubbery texture and salty flavor that is typically made from sheep’s milk, goat’s milk, and/or cow’s milk. Halloumi can be eaten raw but, thanks to its firm texture and high melting point, it can also be grilled or fried without losing shape.
Is Halloumi Healthy?
Made of milk, salt, microbial enzymes, and bacterial cultures, halloumi is a healthy cheese and is most certainly a healthy option. Like most cheese, halloumi is a source of protein, fat, and nutrients, namely vitamin A and calcium. A 1-ounce or 28-gram serving of halloumi provides (1):
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrates: 0 grams
- Protein: 7 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
How to Grill Halloumi?
Grilling halloumi cheese is easy and can be done on a grill, in a grill pan, or in a skillet. How to grill halloumi:
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat,
- Slice halloumi in 1/4 or 1/2 inch slices,
- Place slices of halloumi directly on the grill,
- Cook halloumi for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown,
- Plate and serve!
If you’ve never had halloumi cheese, I think you’re doing to love it! I don’t recall the exact first time I ate halloumi, but I knew at first bite it was something that was going into my food rotation. With its squeaky texture and briny flavor, halloumi cheese works well in everything from sandwiches to salads.
This grilled halloumi salad is an easy vegetarian dish! Paired with ripe tomatoes, cucumbers and couscous, this halloumi salad recipe is a delicious and simple side dish.
- 250 grams halloumi
- 1/4 cup couscous, dry
- 3 tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Cook the couscous as per the package directions.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Slice halloumi into 1/4-inch or 1/2-inch pieces, add to the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until crispy and golden brown. Once cooked set aside. (This can be done in batches if needed.)
- In a large bowl, combine cooked couscous, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber and parsley. Cover with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Top with warm grilled halloumi and serve immediately.
- Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 375 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 28 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 15 grams
Keywords: grilled, fried, easy