Filled with roasted root vegetables, wheat berries, leafy greens and topped with an apple cider vinegar dressing, this roasted vegetable salad is a colorful and flavourful winter salad that works equally well as a vegetarian main course or a hearty side dish.
I opted to include wheat berries as the base of this root vegetable salad to give it a slightly heartier texture and make it a more filling dish. Although I used beets, butternut squash, and carrots, you could easily swap or mix and match any winter vegetables that you enjoy; parsnips, sweet potatoes, celery root, radishes, rutabagas, and/or turnips would all work very well.
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes:
Roasted Vegetable Salad
Filled with winter root vegetables and an apple cider vinegar dressing, this roasted vegetable salad works equally well as a main course or a side dish.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 1 cup wheat berries, dry
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 beets, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 cup kale, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water, bring to a boil, add wheat berries, lower the heat, and simmer uncovered according to package directions (typically 50 to 60 minutes for hard wheat berries, or 30 to 40 minutes for soft wheat berries) until the wheat berries are tender but pleasantly chewy. Once cooked, strain to remove excess water, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process, and then transfer them to a bowl to cool completely.
- While the wheat berries are cooking, prepare the vegetables. Add sliced beets to a bowl, drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil, season with a pinch of salt, and toss until well coated. Place beets on a baking sheet, leaving one side of the baking sheet empty, and transfer to the oven to roast for 10 minutes.
- In the same bowl, add cubed squash and sliced carrots, drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, season with a pinch of salt, and toss until well coated. Set aside.
- Once the beets have roasted for 10 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven, add the squash and carrots to the empty area, and then return the baking sheet to the oven to roast for an additional 20-25 minutes or until all of the vegetables are tender. Once roasted, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the vegetables to cool completely.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl or jar, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper, and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Once the vegetables have cooled, assemble the salad. In a large bowl, add kale and drizzle with roughly one tablespoon of dressing, toss to coat the kale and, using your hands, gently “massage” the kale in the dressing.
- Once complete, add the wheat berries, roasted vegetables, and parsley and toss to combine with the kale. Drizzle with remaining dressing and toss again until everything is well coated and incorporated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and needed, then top with pumpkin seeds and crumbled goat cheese to serve.
- This roasted vegetable salad can be served immediately or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 428 calories
- Sugar: 16 grams
- Fat: 29 grams
- Carbohydrates: 36 grams
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Protein: 10 grams
Keywords: root vegetable