This slow cooker shredded chicken (or crockpot shredded chicken) is a simple and healthy meal prep idea for quick and easy lunches!
Slow-cooker shredded chicken is a wonder food when it comes to meal prep; not only does it require little to no effort, but it can be used in everything from salads and tacos to soups and stews. This fail-proof recipe works every time for tender chicken to add to almost any meal.
Chicken breasts are a staple North American dinner ingredient, but after so much baking, grilling and stir-frying these little guys can get rather tiresome after a while. The reason I enjoy this slow cooker shredded chicken so much is that it can be used in endless ways and it helps to keep the chicken moist and tender. Depending on what I am going to do with it, I sometimes flavor the chicken during the cooking process by adding herbs, marinades, and sauces directly to the slow cooker, but if I am looking for more variety I simply season it with salt and pepper to help keep my options open. I often use this slow cooker shredded chicken for lunch and add it to a big bowl of greens, roasted potatoes, and veggies for a flavourful and filling meal.
More Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken
- Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
This slow cooker shredded chicken calls for boneless and skinless breasts for this recipe, but chicken thighs work very well too. You can also use bone-in breast, the cooking will just take a little longer.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker, spreading them out evenly, pour in water and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Some moisture will come out of the chicken during the cooking process so you don’t need much liquid.
- Once cooked, remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and place on a large cutting board. Using two forks, pull chicken apart until shredded into bite-size pieces.
- Once shredded, the chicken can be kept as is, or you can add any sauces or flavourings at this point. I like to mix it with some pesto, chimichurri or my piri piri sauce for extra flavour.
- Chicken can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 139 calories
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fat: 3 grams
- Carbohydrates: 0 grams
- Fiber: 0 grams
- Protein: 26 grams
Keywords: crockpot, chicken breast, easy, healthy