Spinach Ricotta Pasta
Rich and creamy spinach ricotta pasta.
Made with pantry and kitchen staples, this spinach ricotta pasta recipe is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. Not only does the use of ricotta cheese allow for a rich and creamy texture, but it helps to add a much-needed boost of protein and the inclusion of spinach helps to add a boost of fibre at the same time.
Although pasta gets a bit of bad rap, pasta is healthy and can certainly be included in a healthy diet. This spinach and ricotta pasta specifically calls for spaghetti, however, you can certainly use any type of noodle you enjoy or have on hand: spaghettini, fettuccine or tagliatelle would all work particularly well.
More Healthy Pasta Recipes:
Made with ricotta cheese and fresh spinach, this spinach ricotta pasta is full of fibre and protein while being quick and easy to make.
- 170 grams spaghetti, dry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot or small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch chili flakes (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Once cooked, drain pasta, reserve a 1 cup of the pasta water, and set aside.
- In a large pan on medium heat, warm the butter and olive oil. Once warm, add the shallot and garlic clove and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add spinach, a splash of pasta water, and stir to combine with the onion and garlic mixture until spinach is wilted.
- Add ricotta cheese, chili flakes, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and stir to combine with the vegetable mixture. Add additional pasta water until a generally smooth consistency is reached.
- Add cooked spaghetti to the pan and toss to coat in the spinach ricotta mixture, adding some of the pasta cooking water to loosen the sauce as needed.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 545 calories
- Sugar: 6 grams
- Fat: 19 grams
- Carbohydrates: 75 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 20 grams
Keywords: easy, healthy