Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Made with 100% whole wheat flour, this whole wheat banana bread tastes just like classic banana bread but with more fibre and less sugar.
Who doesn’t love banana bread? Moist and fluffy, it makes a great family-friendly snack or dessert. This whole wheat banana bread is essentially a classic banana bread but made with whole wheat flour and slightly less sugar to maker it higher in fibre and lower in sugar. The good news is, this healthy banana bread recipe still satisfies a sweet tooth, just a slightly healthier way.
Is Whole Wheat Flour Healthier?
Whole wheat flour is the whole grain version of wheat flour. Whole wheat flour is a made by grinding the whole grain, bran, germ and endosperm intact, as opposed to only grinding the endosperm, as in the case of regular all-purpose wheat flour. Because whole wheat flour is made using the bran and germ, it contains slightly more fibre, protein and minerals than regular flour.
How to Make Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Making this recipe is as easy as making regular banana bread, you just need to use whole wheat flour! Here’s how to do it:
- Mash the bananas,
- Combine the dry ingredients,
- Combine the bananas with the wet ingredients,
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients,
- Mix it all together,
- Transfer the batter to a loaf pan,
- Bake it in the oven,
- Allow to cool, slice and that’s it!
Once sliced, this banana bread can be eaten immediately, stored in an airtight container or frozen for up to 3 months. I love making a loaf ahead of time, slicing it and storing it in the freezer for a quick and easy snack. Simply reheat it in the microwave or oven for a tasty afternoon treat.
Although I opted to include walnuts in my recipe, you could omit them completely or swap them for chocolate chips if you prefer. Regardless of which option you choose, the key to a loaf of really good banana bread is really ripe bananas, so be sure to wait until they are nice and brown before whipping up this banana bread with whole wheat flour.
More Healthy Bread Recipes:
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Made with 100% whole wheat flour, this healthy banana bread recipe taste just like classic banana bread but with more fibre and less sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups mashed banana (4–5 bananas)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the ripe bananas. Using the back of a fork, mash them until they are well combined, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and melted butter and whisk together until well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk again until well combined. Add the mashed bananas and mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient and stir until well incorporated. Gently fold in the walnuts, stirring with a spatula, until evenly mixed into the batter. (If your bananas are not ripe enough you may have to add an extra splash of milk if your batter is too thick.)
- Transfer the batter to the greased loaf pan and transfer to the oven for 60-65 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove banana bread from the oven and allow the loaf to cool completely in the loaf pan. Once cooled, remove from the pan and slice into 10 even slices.
- This banana bread can be served immediately or stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 268 calories
- Sugar: 21 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 45 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
Keywords: healthy, easy