Simple salmon seasoned with a Cajun spice blend creates this super quick and easy blackened salmon with avocado salsa to help get dinner on the table in 15 minutes or less.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy salmon recipe that is packed full of flavor, look no further than this blackened salmon. Covered in Cajun-inspired spices and paired with a cooling and creamy avocado salsa, this salmon recipe is a great dish for a busy weeknight.
Fish is a great protein to use for an easy dinner idea when you have little time because it cooks so quickly. Although not everyone loves the taste of fish, adding a simple spice blend or marinade can help make it more palatable and less “fishy” tasting. Different varieties of salmon vary in taste and texture, but they are all a great source of protein and healthy omega-3 essential fats. Because salmon only needs to be broiled or grilled for a few minutes on each side it keeps cooking time to a minimum, simply add a little flavor in the form of spices and you’re good to go.
Cajun spice blends are easily found at most grocery stores, but making your own is just as easy as buying them in bulk. With a few common and easily found spices, you can create a sweet, spicy, and smoky seasoning blend that works well on fish, poultry, and meat. For this blackened salmon recipe, I mixed together just enough of the spices to coat the fish, but you could easily double or triple the spice mixture and save it for later use.
More Healthy Salmon Recipes:
- Honey Mustard Salmon
- Slow-Roasted Salmon with Fresh Herbs
- Pistachio Crusted Salmon
- Honey Ginger Grilled Salmon
Blackened Salmon with Avocado Salsa
Covered in Cajun spices and paired with a rich and creamy avocado salsa, this blackened salmon recipe is the perfect combination of flavours, while being quick and easy to make.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 fillets 1x
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stovetop & Baked
- 4 salmon fillets, skin on
- 2 tablespoon melted butter or olive oil
- Olive oil, to drizzle
Cajun Spice Rub:
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a small bowl combine the spices; paprika, chilli powder, garlic, onion, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Transfer the spice mixture to a plate, or a cutting board.
- Drizzle each salmon fillet with a very small amount of olive oil (about 1/4 tsp.) and rub it over each fillet with your hand.
- Transfer each salmon fillets to the plate and coat with the spice mixture one at a time, flesh side only.
- In a cast iron skillet at a medium-high heat, heat the cooking oil. Add salmon fillets skin side down and sear for 3 minutes until blackened. Flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes until salmon is cooked through.
- While the salmon is cooking, prepare the salsa. Add cubed cucumber, avocado, add red onion to a bowl and toss well to combine. Squeeze in lime juice and season with sea salt to taste, set aside.
- Serve salmon with fresh avocado salsa and rice.
- Serving Size: 1 fillet
- Calories: 392 calories
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Fat: 24 grams
- Carbohydrates: 8 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 40 grams
Keywords: cajun, rub, grilled, cast iron skillet, easy, healthy