A quick, easy and healthy blackened shrimp recipe!
Made with homemade Cajun-inspired seasoning, this blackened shrimp recipe is a perfect weeknight meal. Not only is it ready in under 15 minutes, but it’s incredibly versatile and stores well in the fridge as leftovers for quick and easy lunches and dinners. Trust me, it’s so good, the whole family will love it.
What is Blackened Shrimp?
First off, what is blackening? Blackening, or “blackened”, is a cooking method associated with Cajun cuisine that is done by darkening a food with a spice mixture in a hot pan or cast-iron skillet. The specific spice blend used to blacken a food may vary from one recipe to the next but, generally speaking, it includes paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, cayenne and salt. Although commonly used on fish and poultry, any form of animal protein can be blackened with the spice mixture.
How to Make Blackened Shrimp
Once you’ve created your spice mixture, blackening shrimp (or any seafood for that matter) is really easy. Here’s how to make blackened shrimp:
- Combine your spices in a small jar or bowl,
- Coat the shrimp with the spice mixture,
- Heat a cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat,
- Add the shrimp to the skillet,
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until dark and crispy,
- That’s it!
Not only is blackened shrimp easy to make but it’s incredibly versatile. Once cooked, the shrimp can be eaten on their own, layered into tacos, stirred into pasta or topped onto your favourite salad for a quick and easy meal.
Easy Blackened Shrimp Recipe
Once you’ve got the basics of the blackened seasoning down, you can easily mix and match the spice mixture to create the exact flavour combination that you enjoy. My version of blackened shrimp calls for paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, oregano and salt, but a pinch of chilli powder and brown sugar would mix in very nicely too.
More Healthy Shrimp Recipes:
Made with a Cajun-inspired spice mixture, this blackened shrimp recipe is packed full of flavour, while being quick and easy to make!
- 1 pound shrimp, raw, peeled
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the spices; paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cayenne and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add raw shrimp to a large bowl, cover with the spice mixture and toss to combine until all of the shrimp are well coated. If time permits, set aside for 15 minutes to allow the shrimp to marinate, however, this is not necessary.
- In a large cast-iron or heavy bottom skillet, warm olive oil. Add shrimp, arranging them in a single layer, and allow to cook 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through and lightly blackened on both sides.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges and cilantro or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 135 calories
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 2 grams
- Fiber: 1 grams
- Protein: 23 grams
Keywords: grilled, easy, healthy